View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #47
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Lackey is a solid #2, and he has admitted as much. With that being said, I would be surprised if he goes anywhere besides back to the Angels. He is a west coast guy and has no interest in moving east.

CR, can you validate this? I am just going on what I have heard from various sources.

Oops, sorry, Romagoth, I was avoiding this thread until the World Series was over.

I describe Lackey as a high #2. He can be considered a #1, as he has been here in Anaheim, but I have never felt he really had the pitch to pitch dominance to be a true #1 a la a Sabathia, Greinke, Lincecum, etc. Also, he gets too emotional, and not in the "channel your anger into dominance" sorta way, but more the "blind rage I can't throw a bleeping strike to Jeter" sorta way.

I have never actually heard how Lackey describes himself, although he is generally self-effacing to the media (when he isn't riled up) and wouldn't say he's a #1, no matter what he actually thought. He's a "just one of the guys" sorta guy.

He has stated he is looking for a Burnett style contract, and I actually don't expect a hometown discount. He'll go to the highest bidder, is my guess.

He is actually not a coast guy (either coast), period. He's all Texas. Always made a big deal about idolizing Nolan Ryan. If anyone gets a discount, it will be the Rangers, but they'll still have to be in the ballpark of the other offers. If all offers are close and there is no Ranger offer of note, I think Lackey will go back to the Angels. But my guess is that the Angels will set a ceiling, and it will be a good few million short of what Boston or the Mets might be inclined to give him.

My prediction is, in April, Lackey will be an overpaid starter for one of the bigger money clubs (Top 5-7), but most fans of those clubs won't mind, because he won't be #1 and he will produce.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-05-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote