View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 09:58 PM   #6
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Now I am going to make one, single, exception I am going to research the starter, as it’s the most important one you’ll make. I’ve made some bad choices at times in my first run in games.

I also try, where possible to reduce my legendary parties. I used to embrace them but now I see them more as a crutch.

Here are the three options:

So who do I like?

The options are going to be.

Huh. Looks like this is the first generation since Gen 2 where all of the starters begin mono-typed and remain that way the entire time. Charizard gained flight, Empoleon steel, etc.

Grass – Grookey

Hello monkey boy!

Plusses and Minuses –

- While they will occasionally mix these tendencies up, grass is not normally a type that competes with powerful Pokemon later in the game, especially with legendary Pokemon. I think Verizon was the only commonly available grass type legendary.
- Grass owns seas and lakes and those areas of maps, and does well in caves as well, where you tend to face a lot of water or ground/rock Pokemon, all of which grass is super good against. Is this game based on the UK going to have a lot of islands?
- One of the roles I like my party to have is a harasser Pokemon, who puts you to sleep, paralyzes, poisons, etc. It’s good for capturing Pokemon, as well as fighting folks. Grass is often good for that role (Bulbasaur was a good harasser with Sleep Power and similar moves available which you could combine with its attacking stuff)
- The grass type is weak to many types from bug to flying, and fire and more. It’s only strong against fighting, water, and grass attacks. Grass ghost on the other hand is weak to dark, fire, flying, ghost, and ice, totally immune to normal, fighting, and strong vs ground, water, grass, and electric. So on defense, it improves with it’s final evolution
- It’s doesn’t look bad at it’s final evolution, but the earliest one aren’t my style of looks
- It’s a punch monkey. It needs fight badly.
- It starts fast and punchy, but then slides into better hp, and it’s final evolution is well rounded with speed, att, def, and

Scorbunny –

Hello rabbit lady

- Fire by itself is resistant to a full 6 types, and weak to just three – water, ground, and rock
- When fully leveled into fire/dark, it’s weak to fighting too, and immune to psychic.
- It leans towards attack and speed. It finishes with a better speed.
- It looks fine, especially the final evolution, but a bit…obvious…for an Nintendo character.
- Fire does well in forests against both bugs and grass, but is weak in mountains, caves, or on water, where your foes tend to be rocks and water
- There is often a ton of competition for fire Pokémon later on. This is particularly true for legendary pokemon, where Entei, Ho-Oh, Moltres, Victini, Heatran, and such are all running around.

Sobble –

- Water by itself is weak to just two types and resistant to four.
- Unlike the first two, it’s strongest stat is special attacks
- It’s always vital to give a Pokemon the HM Surf (If it’s in this game,that was removed in Moon/Sun). It’s good for a water starter to have that ability later on.
- Like fire above, water is a hotly contested spot with legendaries a-go-go often grabbed before the final battles, from Kyogre to Suicune.
-
- It’s not my favorite looking Pokemon I’ve ever seen. I like the name of it’s final evolution but it looks like a disaffected wanna be.

So what to do?

Which of these final stat columns would I prefer?

Water is a glass cannon that goes fast, and has great special attack and then that’s it. No def, spec d, att, or even HP.

The fire is more well rounded than water, with speed and attack instead, and drops a little to give it better hp. It also has dropped it’s D too, and thus is also a little of an attack glassery too.

So, we’re doing Grass. It’s the most well rounded.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote