View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 06:35 PM   #177
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I know it's against the rules in Georgia to recruit from another in-state school. Off hand I'm not sure it's prohibited to recruit out of state however. You can't offer benefits, but ...

Then again, realistically, the top programs really don't seem to have to do much recruiting once you get there. Not sure "build it and they will come" is more true anywhere than in HS athletics. And I'm not really bothered by that.

The only reason we're where we are is because a school here offered a better opportunity for my child's needs & abilities than where we were. In our case that was academics but, if we're acknowledging that kids have talents in different areas, I'd be loathe to do much to restrict a talented athlete or musician or whatever any more than I'd restrict the opportunities for a talented scholar.

The high schools in my area allow free transfer, and what amounts to recruiting of middle school kids, and they've each got academic specialties. Like you said, a lot of it here gets used to kids who want to go a certain academic route, but the coaches definitely recruit by selling kids on their team and then giving them talking points to get approved for the school.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote