Thread: 2018 MLB Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #665
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I don't know how many of you subscribe to The Athletic (if you're a sports fan, you really should) there's a great article looking at the shift and presenting compelling arguments for why that's not the real issue that should be addressed:

https://theathletic.com/703736/2018/...s-strike-zone/

If you don't subscribe, the super-condensed summary is data shows shifts don't seem to be impacting the rate of balls in play falling in for hits; the real issue with pace of play and hit frequency is strikeouts, and the best solution is to raise the bottom of the strike zone.

Yeah, as I said, I'm not sure an outright ban of the shift is the best approach. I do think the shift is having an unhealthy impact on the game and as we get more accurate and easily attainable batted ball data it's only going to get worse.

I just find it somewhat amusing many of the same people bemoaning the increase in strikeouts and all or nothing approaches of hitters don't want anything done about shifts.

"Learn to do something different" isn't the answer. If it were that easy to do these things we'd have a hell of a lot more elite level professional athletes.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote