View Single Post
Old 06-02-2020, 10:39 AM   #3681
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
My point is;
1-There are feel good moments in this

2-There are atrocities in this and they are inexcusable, especially from the law enforcement side. But we also can't let the evil that has infiltrated one of the most important causes in America now go unchecked.

3-Whether you think so or not there are police that call out their brethren for not upholding the honor of the badge and there are those that don't

4-There are people that hurt and need to be acknowledged, supported and championed as equals that deserve equal opportunity and most of all equal dignity. We need to make changes and embrace them, while drowning out the voices of hate

5-We need to acknowledge, condemn and severely punish those that could give a shit about racial injustice and use this as an opportunity to eradicate the influence these fringe groups, left and right have on society.

6-We need to vote in competent leadership and hold them accountable, half are government officials are acting like fucking grade schoolers right now. STFU with your tweets and partisan bickering and show us meaningful action. And many are and quite frankly some in a very bi-partisan way, but it is not enough right now.

7-Bring respect into this moment as a basic tenant and start listening to others and take the time to talk to and learn form those different than you. This country is lost and 2020 has been the perfect storm to expose it.

All these pieces aren't mutually exclusive, so dammit, why can't we respect each other more here in this forum? There are good people in this community that I respect a lot, with great ideas that may differ, but eventually lead to the same destination. Let's be better than the personal attacks. Anger doesn't always have to lead to confrontation
Great (and well timed) Post!

To get back to the current situation with protesting and rioting, I think we have to do better with joining/respecting the daily protests and ensure the message of many people fighting for change during the day get heard. I have seen some great messages by protesters (and some cops joining in) during the day. On the flip side, everyone needs to put out a message that anyone protesting after curfew is not part of the change effort we need (and just being opportunist in many cases). We don't want the good work attempted during the day being undone by idiots at night.

Finally, one of my biggest fears is when the private crew in open carry states (Washington, Arizona, Texas, etc) decides to start "protecting" businesses and "helping" cops. This could get ugly real fast if we don't do more to stop the looting after curfew.