View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 01:53 AM   #59
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Review of Worms of the Earth

I waited until the end of the Howard stories to have this, since in timeline, it resembles a bit the Clark Ashton Smith ones. We’ll head back to modern time again, and the Mythos won’t normally head back to the ancient sword and sorcery past for most of its stories.

Lovecraft refers to Bran Mak Morn in one of his own Mythos stories, further bringing this story into the Mythos., Not only does Howard refer to R’lyeh, but Lovecraft brings in it. Theirs is no question about its canonicity. Lovecraft wrote that:

Few readers will ever forget the hideous and compelling power of that macabre masterpiece “Worms of the Earth.

Howard’s writing style suits these sorts of stories much more than stories like The Thing on the Roof. This is where he is made immortal via Conan and others. This is why Fire is so good, because it has that sort of feel and character. Bran Mak Morn is another Howard hero in the typical mold – the noble savage against the decadent civilizations of his day – in this case, the Roman Empire. Howard loved rooting for the underdog, so he creates one.

Race is again at the forefront of this tale – you can’t get away from it in Howard’s works.
Spoiler

We see race in the Worms, and in the history of Bran’s Picts. We witness it with the Romans as well. It’s not just culture, or heritage, but blood that distinguishes people.

I give it 4 stars outta 5

(I reserve 5 for true masterpieces and 4.5 for near ones.)

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 04-28-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote