View Single Post
Old 02-17-2024, 01:50 PM   #3454
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Like I said, “in my experience”.

I don’t like guns, would never own one and shouldn’t, as I have said before; however, it’s still my experience that the smaller the places that I have lived, the safer they have been. Those places have a higher percentage of the population carrying or with access to guns. I’ve lived all over Michigan, Florida, Washington, California, Texas, Indiana and near Chicago. I feel much safer in the areas with a legally armed populace. I’m not even arguing the politics of guns because nobody really changes their minds about anything anymore. I’m just saying that for me, I feel safer in those places. YMMV.

I think your assertion that the smaller a place is the safer it is might certainly be true, but attributing that to gun ownership seems like quite the leap. There is plenty of science that says the exact opposite, fwiw.

https://www.rand.org/research/gun-po...-policies.html

State gun laws, gun ownership, and mass shootings in the US: cross sectional time series | The BMJ

The burden of firearm violence in the United States: stricter laws result in safer states - PMC
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote