View Single Post
Old 04-21-2016, 12:54 PM   #320
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

WTC Playoffs

** Switzerland(22nd) vs. Ireland(11th) -- Interesting matchup here between the Swiss looking to extend an unsuccessful two-year stay at the top in which they've won just a single tie, going up against the Irish who are in their third promotion tangle in four years since being sent down. Switzerland has by the far the better players with Ireland an aging shadow of it's former self, and the status quo is maintaind with a 4-1 margin.

** Croatia(8th) vs. Romania(18th) -- Somebody's going up here in a rematch of the Level 2 Final, won by Croatia 4-1. They were sent down two years ago, narrowly avoid bouncing back up in a defeat against Denmark last year, but the Croatians are going to be a force to be reckoned with. Talented 20-year-olds Sava Cirakovic(42nd) and Blagota Cojanovic(78th) could be a major power for a few years when they peak. Another matchup that was basically a foregone conclusion: Croatia is promoted 4-1.

** Luxembourg(15th) vs. Mexico(16th) -- It's strange to have a matchup at this level with no singles player ranked higher than 100th, but that's exactly what we've got here. Luxembourg is in it's fourth promotion playoff from Level 2 in the last five years; they haven't won a single one of them. Mexico meanwhile has been a Level 1 nation for ten straight years now, failing to advance past the quarterfinals in four attempts and generally doing just enough to stay up. Form holds again here; the singles rubbers were split, but Mexico's quality doubles tandem got them a 3-2 win, and they stay up.

** Serbia(30th) vs. Germany(4th) -- A seriously one-sided matchup according to the rankings, though the Germans don't have much other than Benda these days. Serbia's been at the top level the last four years in a row themselves, but has done basically nothing there. Still, this is every bit as one-sided as the rankings would indicate. Germany didn't lose a set despite an unfavorable choice of indoor ground, and the Serbians are relegated.

Summary

Croatia moves up and will be one to watch, Serbia moves down, the other 15 nations in Level 1 will remain as they were. Par for the course generally speaking.

There was a momentous bit of Sri Lanka news as well; after more than 14 years of preparation, Anil Manohar, just over 42 years old, has retired and become a trainer. Manohar had a singles record of 469-275(.630) and was a nearly-identical 468-262(.641) in doubles play. He won just over $150k in total winnings(by comparison, Mooljee is already at $110k). In singles he took home 10 junior and 5 amateur titles, never winning at the futures level with a career-best of 238th shortly after I hired him back in 2030. He was much more successful in doubles, with 3 amateur and 34 futures tournaments won, though a high ranking there of just 430th as he saw most of that success in his later years. It had become increasingly clear over the past several months that he was declining, partly due to focusing on the investment to become a trainer; just two weeks ago, in his last tournament, he failed to qualify in both singles and doubles.

He ends up at a 4.5 level as expected; 4.47 to be more exact was my calculation. By making the switch at the end of this week I was able to get in a few sessions, mostly with Girsh and Mooljee. The goal with Manohar was never about his limited career on the court, but his ability to become a decent trainer for the younger players. Now that this is achieved, my efforts to maximize Sri Lanka's talents will move into a new phase. He'll help the younger players the most of course:

** Anil Mehul will merely get a little bump in rare occasions on his efforts to extend his career, and after that move towards being a premium trainer in his own right. Sri Lanka's most accomplished player ever(at least so far) is now largely past the point of needing a trainer, having begun to go with only singles practice on occasion due to fatigue concerns. I still expect him to be relevant for another 2-4 years on the singles circuit.

** Girish Girsh will see a little more use, as he still regularly is in need of extra matches. That will only be the case for another year or two.

** Prakash Mooljee is expected to make use of Manohar's services the most, pretty much every week most likely for a while as he is still at his physical peak.

** Most importantly, Sri Lanka's next junior phenom will be recruited/created next week, and he will be the first player to be able to make full use of Manohar's skills and accumulated experience. There will be a lot of experimenting going on especially at first, but more on how I plan to approach that situation next week once I get a look at the newcomer.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote