View Single Post
Old 11-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #35
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
I'm not so sure about that. If the republicans hold the senate, Biden will appoint moderates to his cabinet (which have to be approved by the senate). If Breyer retires from the Supreme Court, he'll also appoint a moderate judge to take his place. He won't have to appease the leftists in his party, and can basically tell them he's hamstrung and has to appoint people who can get approved so the country's business can go on. I think there's a decent chance that some good will come out of this (like Bill Clinton and the republican congress).

Abby Phillips just made a great point. It made me think about this and the other thread about our institutions. Despite all the talk of Left Wing Joe, we all know Biden is a moderate. We know he's first instinct is to make deals and be bipartisan. He is going to reach across the aisle no matter the pressure that comes from his left. What will he find on the other side? We shall see.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote