View Single Post
Old 11-06-2020, 02:42 PM   #49
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I apologize for mucking up this thread with a post not overflowing with snark, but I'm seriously curious what Biden does. Specifically, what COVID steps does he take and how?

Since cases are ramping up I think he can renew faith in our acquisition and distribution of equipment for front-line workers, making sure that the proper orgs are in place and ready to help as needed if we reach the unfortunate case of hospital overflow/overcrowding, just basic logistics where we were left with the impression back in March that Trump was creating a situation where "friendly" states got help, and where states were bidding against each other and the feds for equipment. That I assume can all be set straight immediately if the rise in cases is creating any shortage concerns.

Past that - the most important thing that a proper president could have done was brought unity around the idea that we're all in this together when the pandemic first started, that we don't have all the answers and we may not get everything right but that we are all Americans and we all need to work together and make some personal sacrifices in the best interest of all of us, that none of us are immune to this. I assume that we're far past the point that this unity could ever be created now, but he'll try, and hopefully it'll help some.

Hmmm - reasonable stimulus packages that actually help Americans? Can Biden help guide congress towards that?

Quote:
What exactly does he do vis a vis climate change

There's so much dysfunction around climate change that I've pretty much lost hope and I don't think this change will do anything to fix it. The longer we go the more urgent it is that we implement something like the Green New Deal as of yesterday, and I think a lot of moderates don't actually have it in them to make hard decisions even if they are backed by the entirity of the scientific community. I think we lose here, and I fear that Biden won't even make a push for what is necessary, but even a more moderate push will probably fail.

But - at least get back into the Paris Climate Agreement and undo a lot of the executive orders that we've heard about over time that Trump put into place that weakened the EPA, things like that.

Quote:
globalization, international agreements

My areas of interest politically don't really fall here, but I assume there will be some active efforts to try to restore relationships with allies that have been harmed,to re-establish deals that had been set up, to try to work with China to re-establish trade agreements that are closer to neutral and less antagonistic. I'm well aware that my language here is oversimplified, that's the best answer I've got.

Quote:
Energy issues

Similar to Climate Change, I believe the science says that we need a massive worldwide effort to throw all of our resources behind renewable energy to even have a prayer of saving the planet (as far as it being comfortably habitable by humans). I'm not entirely sure Biden is even for that, and I don't think there's any hope of success. So I expect that Biden can undo some of Trump's harmful de-regulation that was mostly aimed at creating profit for his friends, but I sadly am extremely pessimistic here.

Quote:
What does he go for and what does he decide isn't worth the fight?

I expect some police reform. A Biden victory is no reason to stop protesting for the issues that BLM cares about. I think by now everyone who pays attention here knows that I think Biden is an enemy of black lives matter, not a friend. I do not think he wants changes that will have any real impact on systemic racism. But I expect that he will take the tone necessary to calm some of the inflamed edges of these situations. And I think there is some reasonable police reform that will probably happen.

I expect to be disappointed, but I do think he will at least be capable of acknowledging the legitimate issues and doing what he honestly feels is the right thing to help address them, and he will make a real and honest effort to ease tensions. And that is very important to get us back to some kind of reasonable place that we were before Trump. I think many will consider this wonderful progress. That's the best I can say here given my own much further left leaning views on oppression and systemic/institutional racism in America.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote