View Single Post
Old 12-27-2015, 03:10 PM   #35
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

#9. Papers, Please
Lucas Pope
Puzzle Simulation

Can you imagine what it must have been like to pitch this game? Well, it's set in a fictional nation behind the Red Curtain during the Cold War. And then you are playing the role of a recently appointed border official who sits at the border looking at passports and then deciding who is and is not approved.

So it's like Bureaucrat Tycoon. And as much fun as people have playing Roller Coaster Tycoon, Railroad Tycoon or Zoo Tycoon, I don't think they are lining up to play the role of some random bureaucrat. Sound like fun?

Then you get scored based on how accurately you only allowed the right passports and entrants into Arstotzka. And based on your score, you get paid. That money then pays for your daily budget of food, shelter, bills, and such for your family.

So it really becomes more of a boring, real life simulator. As the game's timeline progresses, more and more technology is used for the border points. Meanwhile some try to bribe their way into the country and you have people you missed coming in and bombing the place or causing a ruckus. And the government is very much anti-you if you screw up. And you can't make the budget if you fail at the border, and you'll lose your job very quickly.

How do you pitch that game? What publisher would stick their neck out for Papers, Please?

But it's a game that is evocative, moody, and very disturbing at times. It's creepy, eerie, and not in a "horror motif" sense, but instead in an "I'm about to lose my job on day 6 of me having it!"

I still remember my first playthrough. I was finishing up day 2 and wondering what all of the fuss was about and why the game came heavily favored One mistake in my judgement led some guy through who pulled out a gun and starting shooting folks, and I just was in a "holy crap!" mood. The rules changed for admission after that failure on my part and the game became harder. The rules shift, and I have to get in as many people as possible as accurately as I can in the 10 minute day, cause I need that money for my family!

Glory to Arstotzka!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 12-27-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote