View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 01:28 PM   #37
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Frankly, I don't mourn Kurt Cobain. I remember the shock of hearing of his death, but MTV made it seem like he was John Lennon which even I knew was far from correct. His death was a tragedy but not unexpected, after all he attempted with pills in Italy just prior, he clearly was not long for this world.

That being said, Nirvana was a huge influence on bands. They filled the gap at a time when the music scene was becoming excessively bad, to a point that it has still yet to recover from Rap and Hip Hop taking the charts. And while they "woe is me" is a little overdoing it, I think Cobain was trying hard to remain untainted by fame and money (he failed). He certainly never looked like he was enjoying what he was doing.

To say his vocals sucked, or that lack of guitar vituosity is to remove the main reasons why he influenced bands to a point that today it's overkill on the feelings.

Whether or not you found him talented, his band filled a void and ended up influencing a generation, and for those who say he ripped off the Pixies, least that was the influence, I couldn't go through another hair band revival.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote