View Single Post
Old 06-24-2007, 02:19 PM   #119
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post

I did however watch the Frank Shamrock vs. Phil Baroni match. This one was pretty brutal. Baroni took a beating the first round. I mean, it wasn't close. It was brutal, and Shamrock just toyed with him. Laughing, taunting, giving him illegal hits to the back of the head..typical Shamrock stuff. One of the worst rounds I've ever seen where the fighter didn't actually lose the fight. Baroni looked like he hurt Shamrock in the 2nd round with a body shot, maybe broke a rib? He was done though from the earlier hits and his usual outstanding cardio. Shamrock looked very good standing though, I was impressed. I'd still like to see Frank settle things with UFC and come back sometime. He's the perfect villain for UFC, and still a pretty damn solid fighter. I don't think he wants to fight any top competition though, but maybe I'm wrong.

From Dave Meltzer in regards to the Shamrock-Baroni fight:

--Some notes coming out of the Frank Shamrock vs. Phil Baroni fight. Both came out of it in a war. Shamrock's injuries were a completely blown ACL (not just torn, but it appears he no longer even had one) and a torn MCL from sparring with Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou on 6/11. He had no business walking, let alone fighting and he could do no cardio training from that point on. He was shopping last week in one of those motorized carts that handicapped people use. I saw him train a few days earlier and his cardio was more than there, but two weeks on your back will take your cardio way down, and realistically, he had very little time to win and it completely destroyed his game plan of outlasting Baroni over 25:00. Baroni went into the fight with a hernia and probably had no business fighting. Both needed surgery before the fight. Baroni suffered a groin injury, he told me after he thought it was a pull, but it may have been a tear, during the first round, but he has all black and blue down there. Some of the biggest names in the sport would not have fought with either of the injuries both men came in with. Many others would have. Most top fighters who have mileage on them and are past 30 are coming in hurt to a degree but usually not to anywhere near that degree. The atmosphere live was incredible. It beat Tito Ortiz vs. Chuck Liddell for tension. I can't compare it with Couture vs. Sylvia live because I wasn't there, but it probably wasn't at that level.

http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/....asp?aID=19975
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote