View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #529
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
then you will have fun. if you're going to complain about Closer Joe Smith, who was good for a few years and then for no reason was replaced with another closer, then you may not like this, or many other, games. when you realize that not every transaction you make is how a real GM would do it then you'll enjoy it more.

case in point, i always have my eye on the bottom line. a lot of transactions i do are to shave payroll and generate as big of a profit as possible. many people who play who just want to win championships. i want to win championships with a profit. that's two different things.

I'm not actually "playing" anything. I'm simply looking at the game and trying to determine whether it is simulating as true a baseball experience as possible. Issues like immediately demoting/releasing full-time, productive players from the year before and yanking effective players from their roles for no reason, and giving those same players multiple contract extensions before releasing them, are problematic. Or, starting pitchers with horrendous BB/K ratios still being allowed to pitch - also problematic. I suspect that if I got deeper into the game, the less I'd notice, frankly. But I'm looking at it from a 50K foot view and seeing high-level issues that don't allow the game to naturally flow like you'd expect a real baseball league to progress. I haven't managed or even watched a game play out in OOTP in probably 3 or 4 versions.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote