View Single Post
Old 12-09-2007, 11:47 AM   #151
Calis
College Starter

Fight Night last night was pretty decent. I wasn't at all surprised by the TUF winner, as I think that one could be called from the moment the cast was announced barring an injury. Odd choice to even Mac there with the huge experience gap between him and the rest of the cast. He'll be pretty good in the LW division, but I can't see him being a top guy. He looked completely lost when he fought Mach back in Pride, but we'll see how he shapes up.

Guida vs. Huerta was pretty anticipated, and I don't think it was a letdown at all. These guys are fun to watch and were going full throttle the entire match. I really expected Guida to win this one, with takedowns and just controlling Huerta on the ground. He got the takedowns at will basically, but Huerta was very slick at getting back up, and showed a ton of heart. I think this was the fight he needed to start getting some respect. I'm curious to see who they face him off with next. I think he called out Sherk, but that's a terrible move imo. If Guida could take him down like that, Sherk definitely would, and he'd have better success keeping him there imo. I think he needs one more bigger name before he moves up there. Florian maybe?

Dana announced that Forrest Griffin was the #1 contender at LHW, and would be a coach on the next season of TUF. He also said he'd be fighting the other coach at the end, and they didn't announce the coach but this seems pretty much a dead giveaway that it's Rampage. Great move on their part I think. Rampage is a charismatic guy and I think he'll get over a lot more with the UFC fans with this exposure. I'm not sure how he'll be as a coach, but it should be interesting. Dana also mentioned they were shaking up the show a lot, but no clue if this is just talk or if something big will change in the format. I think something needs to happen. It's growing really stale imo, and I'm not a fan of the dramatic focus. I'd really love a show focused more on the training, but I don't think that would be as popular.

I would've liked to have seen Wand vs. Rampage immediately also if Wand beats Chuck the end of the month. I think that would be a great one, and I think Rampage is a much different fighter than the first two times, and they were both great fights anyway. Who knows, maybe it'll end up not being Rampage afterall and it'll be someone like Jardine or Evans, another TUF alumn. I think it's weird that they announced Forrest as the #1 contender if that's the case though.

EDIT: Forgot to add, the fight with uhh..can't remember their names. The War Machine guy and the Mohawk was a hell of a war also. That fight and the Huerta fight were both great ones to watch. Those two made this a better card than the last few UFC's.

Last edited by Calis : 12-09-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote