View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #648
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Auto correct error causes Georgia high school lockdown *| ajc.com

GAINESVILLE, Ga. — Authorities say West Hall High School went on lockdown thanks to an auto correct error in a text message that was accidentally sent to the wrong number by a student.

The Gainesville Times reports that a student at Lanier Technical College unintentionally sent the text message that meant to say "gunna be at west hall today" but auto correct changed the first word to "gunman."

When someone in the West Hall community received the text message on Wednesday, they alerted law enforcement. A lockdown was placed at West Hall high school and middle schools and was lifted after authorities traced the message to the student and realized the text was not a threat.

Hall County Sheriff's office spokesman Sgt. Stephen Wilbanks says the student had no intentions of harm.

.... although before we say much about the overzealous nature of security, probably have to consider both the timing (day after the Ohio incident) AND this story from my HS alma mater that happened yesterday as well

Pickens High student accused of having pipe bomb *| ajc.com
A Pickens High School student is in custody over an apparent pipe bomb, the Pickens County Sheriff's Office said.

Charges are pending after authorities said they responded to a suspicious device, which appeared to be a pipe bomb, Wednesday around 4:30 p.m. at the student's residence.

Investigators believe the student had the device, which was deemed an explosive, on school property earlier in the day.

Law enforcement officials, working with the Pickens County Board of Education, searched the school and pronounced it safe for everyone to return Thursday. Extra deputies will be on hand, the sheriff’s office said.

The investigation is continuing.