View Single Post
Old 01-31-2020, 09:11 PM   #10
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

6 August 2016

It's time for the start of the new season, my second as manager of Loughborough University FC. The expectations are much different this time around, at least as far as the media are concerned. They've made us 1-2 favorites to win the Midland Football League Premier Division this season.

It's time to meet this year's team. My assistant manager, Kevin Sharp, once again provides the star ratings.

Goalkeepers

The losses of Connor O’Keefe and Harry Waldram, who are both now plying their trade in the National League North (North Ferriby United and Bradford Park Avenue) caused me to reconfigure my goalkeeping corps.

Marsden appears to be able to do everything O’Keefe did for us last year, except take penalties. O’Loughlin is a more traditional goalkeeper. Both were released from professional clubs this spring; Marsden from Ipswich, O’Loughlin from Everton.

Minter, who played well when I called on him last year, and promising Fellowes are also available.

Defenders

Legg and Minor return to the first team at right and left back, respectively. They are both dangerous going forward and responsible in their own end. Taylor, whom Leeds deemed surplus to requirements, could be an even more dangerous attacking fullback when I’m not employing him on the right wing. Minor will turn 22 in November, but by then either Muscatt or Myers might have taken his place anyway. They arrive with impressive credentials-- Muscatt was in Tottenham’s academy, while Myers was an Everton youth player.

Neither Jack Horan nor Alex Howard returned to the club this season. Horan signed with Bath City (National League South), while Howard left for Corby Town (National League North). That leaves Hempshall and new arrival Wells as the starting center backs. Hempshall provides muscle and a surprisingly deft touch on the ball, while Wells, a Stoke trainee, offers more pace and a tireless work rate. Coyne, whom Rochdale let go, is a good alternative, and Blanchard can play here, too.

Central Midfielders

Defensive midfielders Switon and Leonard rejected numerous offers to return to Holywell Park. However, if my goal is getting my three most talented central midfielders on the pitch at the same time, Bianga, formerly of Rochdale, will feature here. Christie has developed well since his arrival last March.

Willbye, Waritay, and Wright will all see plenty of time at the other two CM positions. All three can handle the box-to-box role, and all are sufficiently creative for the conductor’s job. Blanchard and Poxon are the other options; Poxon will age out in October.

Wes George, who would certainly have been one of the starters here, joined the exodus out of the team when he signed for St Albans City (National League South).

Wide Midfielders

I will miss Berwick, who turns 22 on 1 September and will have to turn in his captain’s armband. Until then, we’ll enjoy his masterful skill over a dead ball and his penchant for scoring timely goals. Yes, that is the Harvey Barnes who is currently in the first team at Leicester City. In this world, the Foxes cut him loose and I was more than happy to discover he was willing to sign up with us.

Warnett and Otim are both too good to remain on the bench, so I plan to take advantage of both men’s versatility. Unfortunately, we lose Warnett to age in November. Then there’s Taylor, who might be our best player overall, who can play anywhere along the right side of our formation. Rodgers, a decent footballer who has terrible luck with injuries, might be the odd man out.

Center Forwards

The number nine shirt will probably go to Abbotts most of the time, based on his outstanding performance last spring. However, I’d have no problem turning it over to Otim or Bridges. Then there’s Conway, who has just returned to action following knee surgery. All four forwards found the net on a regular basis when they had the opportunity.

Whitehall and Tweddell will find it hard to get much playing time. Whitehall can also do a job on the wing, too.

The Back Room Staff
I was able to bring back every member of last year's staff, and I added a new physio: Claire Houston, who worked with Peterborough's U18 team last year.

I'm fortunate to have the best staff in the league working with me.

Final Thoughts
I was so frustrated with the loss of players like Jack Horan and Connor O'Keefe over the summer. I enjoyed managing them, and I looked forward very much to taking a shot at the league championship with them this season. Then, the departure of lads like Wes George, who barely pulled on a Loughborough kit before they were off to greener pastures, almost caused me to call it quits.

I'm glad I didn't. The challenge of reassembling a team was enjoyable, and as a real-life Leicester City supporter, signing Harvey Barnes was even more fun.

The board expect only a mid-table finish from us, but they do want me to lift the Midland Football League Cup and the Leicestershire & Rutland County Challenge Cup this year. And they want us to return to the Semi Final of the FA Vase again.

Let's see if we have what it takes, shall we?

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 03-16-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote