View Single Post
Old 07-24-2006, 12:39 AM   #3
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I hope you guys can see the pics from the previous game. Now it's time to hit the actual list. Here comes:

30. Baldur's Gate
PC
BioWare
GameSpot Review - 9.2
RPG

This RPG shocked the PC World away from the previous RPG King of the Hill (which will chart higher on our list) and showed what technology and a new engine could do. It single-handedly put BioWare on the map and spawned numerous quality RPGs like Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 2 and Fallout 2, and even can be seen in KOTOR, KOTOR II and Neverwinter Nights.

Baldur's Gate was an engrossing isometric game that re-established D&D rules as pertinent to PC role-playing when most people were laughing at the old SSI AD&D games, which had continued to be released long past their due date.

Baldur's Gate was so intricate for an RPG of its time, and that's what made it special. No RPG got as much mileage out of as little level progression as BG.

The continuing quest of your main chracter and the ultimate revelation in the game were both very well done, and even a surprise to me who, at the time, had read every single Forgotten Realms novel published.

Who can forget the great way this game handled theft? When many RPGs allowed the players to rob from virtually any chest and any closet in anybody's home, it was BG that made that stealing and had guards attack you. It did a lot of little things that made the world more and more beleivable.

From graphic superiority over contemporary RPGs to an intricate and believable world, Baldur's Gate was both a satisfying play and an innovative game. It did have some issues, like pathfinding and dungeon crawling, which were never that good. However, at its heart, BG was an amazing game hich you can still play and enjoy today.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 05-01-2022 at 10:14 AM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote