View Single Post
Old 06-16-2022, 10:57 AM   #198
BYU 14
Coordinator

Youth baseball coach fractured 72-year-old umpire's jaw

I honestly don't know why anyone would want to officiate youth sports anymore. In 35 years of coaching HS Football, I have had some heated discussions with officials, I won't even try to lie, it happens. But in all that time I have never even thought about putting my hands on one or made it personal. And in every single case, I have always sought that official out after the game, shook his hand and apologized. It's just the correct thing to do.

During that time, I also spent several years coaching youth Baseball, and at that level always made a concerted effort, to never even lose my cool with an umpire. Hell, many times they are kids, or older retired folks. doing the best they can. I also always addressed parents that got out of line during these game.

I get paid to do a job at the HS level, that includes mentoring kids and helping to build a successful program, whatever that looks like in the given situation, but still have an example to set and standards to uphold. At the youth level it should NEVER be about anything other than teaching fundamentals and a love for the game, period, travel team or not.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 06-16-2022 at 10:58 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote