View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #710
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Hey Radii, just curious how or even if you use shouts?

I'll use the play higher up/drop deeper and wider/narrower instructions sometimes based on my coaches pre-game recommendations for my opponent. We don't really have a great target man in the air so if I see a lot of highlights where we are able to get forward but are just having cross after cross headed away to safety I'll use the "exploit the middle" instruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
This scares me if I ever get to the PL.

Its my first time here, so I'm cool with being in over my head. I'm kinda happy that I'm not just having instant success and have to learn more about tactics and work to succeed, especially given how easy the run has been up to this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I agree with those who are suggesting it might be time for a formation change. While Counter/Defensive/Control are all great to adjust, coming up with a formation designed to promote those tactics was something I found very worthwhile. I would say what have you got to lose at this point and doing a midseason formation adjustment, after you work out the kinks and they get used to it, might be helpful? I've not gotten as good of a sense with Ipswitch as I did with Woking what kind of play your players would excel at so I hesitate to offer a formation suggestion, but I think it could do you pretty little harm given your current string. Would really love to see you be able to stay up.

I think you're right. When I looked ahead in the schedule and saw games against all the teams around me in the standings I decided to play out those games before making a change. Our upcoming match against Watford will signal the end of that stretch and I'll look to make a change then.

I honestly don't know what to change either. I believe I have one of the not too terribly old "tactics and theorems" manuals that had been put out and I'm going to go back and re-read that, I read it a long long time ago but at the lower levels it didn't matter, I was just able to overpower teams with talent.

I've still got a few million in transfer money I can spend though tbh I wasn't intending to use all of that. At this point i've done nothing but improve the team in mostly reasonable ways. In a couple cases I gave 2 year contracts to guys where 1 year would have been more ideal, but that's it. So if we hit January and we're in dead last and are.. I dunno... 12-15 points behind the 17th spot, maybe we don't use that money and we just revert back to a safer plan of preparing to fall back to the Championship in much, much better financial shape.

Anyway, the reason for diverting off into finances and transfers... without bringing on an extra defender or two drastic formation experiments won't happen. Sylvain Berthet was an accomplished MR when I took over. Adriano is a natural ML. Neil Gordon plays MR. So I've got some options if I want to look at say a 3-5-2 formation or 4-5-1 or something like that. But anything that involves putting midfielders our wide drains the defensive depth heavily. Though scratch a 3-5-2, my only reliable player this year is DL Stuart Kirkland and he isn't flexible as far as where he plays, so we're not putting anything out there that shelves him.

Back to the original short answer. After the Watford game we're absolutely going to be trying some new things. What exactly we're going to try... uhh, I dunno

Last edited by Radii : 09-01-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote