View Single Post
Old 03-30-2020, 02:16 PM   #80
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

It's been a wild ride here the last few weeks. The Bay Area has been shut down for nearly two weeks now. I'm lucky enough to be able to continue to work, and do so from home, but it's really hard to lead a team from home. Especially when I have to ask them to enter peoples' houses to turn on their water heater or gas stove. Essential work, but terrifying in the midst of the pandemic. We had an employee in our own workgroup tested for Coronavirus on the 17th; we only got the results on Friday, and thankfully he was negative. He's back at work today and super happy to be there. The 10+ days while we were waiting to see what his test results were going to be were brutal for all of our mental states, however.

Meanwhile, my wife Jenn is 32 weeks pregnant as of yesterday, and we have no idea what it's going to be like when we finally have to go in to have the baby. We've been deemed high risk since the very beginning, and have been doing weekly growth scans to make sure the baby is still getting the nutrients it needs since about week 24 - so far so good on that front. I can't go in with her to the appointments anymore, so I sit in the parking lot and we FaceTime so I can see the ultrasounds. We're hearing rumors that Labor & Delivery departments are having to fight to keep the support person in the room during delivery, so I have to come face-to-face with the possibility that I might not even be able to be in the room when my first child is born. We've got 7 weeks until our scheduled C-Section, but the doctors have told us for over 8 weeks now to expect a pre-term baby based upon the growth restrictions.

My entire immediate family is basically out of work; they all work in the car business, and all variable ops (sales) has effectively stopped. My little sister (clerical) and my dad (General Manager) have been furloughed; they're at home not working, but ostensibly have jobs waiting for them when this thing ends. My little brother (Service Manager) is still working because service is still an essential business...but he relies heavily on commission, and is looking at a 60+% pay cut because of the lack of business. He's got two daughters, one is 10 months and the other just turned 2, and his finances were not super great before this all happened.

My grandfather fell and broke his hip on Thursday; when they brought him in they determined he had pneumonia as well. They were able to fight off the pneumonia enough to perform a successful surgery on the leg Friday morning, but by Friday night he had a heart attack and his organs started failing. He was put on a ventilator, but with a DNR, they decided to stop treatment by Saturday morning, and he passed away shortly after being taken off the ventilator. He's in Arizona, and no one was allowed in to see him as this was happening. Thanks to a wonderful nurse in the ICU, my mom and my aunts and uncles were able to call in and say goodbye, though he was not responsive. My mom is a mess; she was very close with her dad, and although he lived a long, wonderful life, he's had many heart attacks and strokes. We've known for a long while that we were essentially living on borrowed time with him, and that this could happen at any time. For it to happen so suddenly, and without any of us to be able to visit / process / say goodbye, it's been heartbreaking. I want so very badly to go give my mom a hug and be there for her, but she's not young anymore and has several underlying medical conditions, so I have to keep my distance.

I'm...staying as positive as I can. I'm pretty sure that the need to keep managing my team remotely is keeping me moving, and my wife is amazing - but I'm almost certain that I haven't processed even a quarter of all the stuff going on right now, and I'm a little worried for when it all comes home to roost.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 03-30-2020 at 02:17 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote