View Single Post
Old 07-29-2006, 05:22 PM   #88
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

This next game certainly isn't controversial to choose around here, but the version I choose may raise a few eyebrows:

13. Front Office Football 2001
Solecismic/EA Sports
PC
GameSpot Review - 7.5
Sports/Simulation - Football

How do you review a game that everybody on this board has played? Even if a handful haven't played it, surely they've heard about it a lot.

It's difficult.

Here is why I'm choosing 2k1. There only other option, for me, is to choose the original, but I've never played the original nor the second game, so it would be highly unfair for me to pick agame that I haven't even played.

Secondly, the game series doesn't change that much from iteration to iteration. Madden changes more from game to game than FOF does. Tiny little tweaks here and there don't make me want to chose to the most recent version.

However, one deletion does make me want to choose 2k1. It is the last title with expansion.

Expansion was amazing. I had the Chiefs to three Super Bowls in a row and won the first and third. Then the expansion teams were named, and one of the game chosen expansion teams was in Huntington, WV. Well, I had to jump at that, so I named then the Huntington Highlanders and did the expansion draft and built them into a perennial playoff team.

Then I jump to the to the expansion team in Charlottesville, VA. They still had an awful roster and as awful cap. I can't remember their name, but it was something dogs, and I hated it, so I changed their name to the Wolves and failed to build them into a playoff team after three years, just getting them to 8-8 when I jumped to a new expansion team in Burlington, VT. I chose the name them the Cyclones, and once again, went through the draft, and so forth.

I loved expansion, and no other FOF has given me that experience. In fact, I've soured a bit on the more recent versions because they haven't jumped that much in new features and haven't brought back expansion.

I still remember my first draftee in 2k1 with the Chiefs. He was a safety named Sean Stewart that I drafted with the 28th pick the first round, and he started for me every year, got All Pro twice, and was put in the Hall of Fame with over 70 interceptions and tons of tackles.

I was hoping to find a Charlie Batch screenshot, because he was a 2k1 player of great ability, but instead, we'll just have to look at the Titans:

It wasn't the best game ever, and it did have issues, like backup soften demanding starter pay to resign, but the game was really good and it had expansion. That's why I chose it.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 05-01-2022 at 12:05 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote