View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 02:19 AM   #44
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, as I'm kind of asking for advice but I'd like to share a little glimpse of my long-term FM save.

I'm still playing FM11 and the reason for that is a glorious saved game that has lasted 8 full seasons, starting in 2010/11, with my team having just completed the 2017/18 season.

I began the game in the Blue Square South division with Dover Athletic and I've stayed with Dover for the duration of this "dynasty". I've enjoyed phenomenal success with the club throughout the years, winning four trophies during the early years:

FA Trophy Winner: 2011, 2012, 2013
Johnstone's Paint Trophy Winner: 2016
Johnstone's Paint Trophy Runner Up: 2017

In league play, I've made the sure and steady climb up the ladder, hitting a bit of a wall upon reaching League 1 but eventually breaking through the glass ceiling:

2011 - Blue Square Bet South Champion (promoted)
2012 - Blue Square Bet Premier Runner Up (lost in playoffs)
2013 - Blue Square Bet Premier Champion (promoted)
2014 - npower League 2 Champion (promoted)
2015 - npower League 1 7th Place
2016 - npower League 1 5th Place

After that fifth place finish, I actively tried to look for other jobs, getting frustrated at the lack of support from my board at Dover, which continually refused my requests to expand my stadium and any other requests to improve the youth or training facilities. I felt like I couldn't advance any further without those things, including the ridiculously low wage and transfer budgets but in the end, I didn't get any job offers from any larger clubs. At one point, it looked like Birmingham in the Championship was going to come calling but it never came through.

So I soldiered on and finally broke through the next year with Dover:

2017 - npower League 1 Champions (promoted)

Then, in a shocking turn of events, everything came together for my team in 2018 and we burst out of the gates winning at an incredible rate. We were neck and neck at the top with Bolton for most of the year but faltered late, needing a win in our last game of the year at home versus QPR to hold onto 2nd place, avoid a playoff and guarantee promotion.

We'd lead 1-0 early but a red card from one of our star central defenders, who has been with us since my first season in charge and gone from U18 prospect in the Conference to a well-regarded star in the league, knocked us down to 10 men only 20 minutes into the game. We'd give up a goal on the resulting penalty but somehow prevailed 4-2 in a thrilling match to do the impossible...

I took Dover to the BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE!!!

2018 - npower Championship 2nd Place (promoted to Premier League)

I absolutely adore this dynasty - I've kept a little spreadsheet of player ratings changes, along with notes on every season I've played about my progression as a manager and the team itself.

Dover started out as an obscure, semi-professional team with an estimated value of £450000 and eight years later we are worth about £4.7 million and have a national reputation.

We've somehow succeeded with a stadium capacity of 6500 and only 1000 of those are actual seats! The board just notified me that they will be finally increasing the capacity of the stadium in order to meet Premier League requirements, with a £750,000+ expansion that will add 6000 more seats in a new terrace that should be completed in November, bringing our capacity to 7000 at Crabble Athletic Ground.

From a personal perspective, I've gained much respect in this save game, starting off as an obscure, Sunday League Footballer and now have elevated myself to "Continental" status. My first year I made £18,200 and I've increased my yearly salary to £93,600. I've always taken what was offered and never pressed for a higher salary, simply due to the fact that the club is not cash rich and I wanted all the money I could get for my players and their salaries.

Well, with all of this success in bringing Dover to the Premier League, I finally got noticed by other clubs. Stoke came calling first, offering me £20,000 PER WEEK to manage at Britannia Stadium. It didn't take long for me to decline this offer - Stoke just finished 19th in the Premier League and will be relegated to the Championship in 2018/19 so it's not a move that makes sense, even though they are a much larger club.

Well, a couple days in-game pass and I get an email that I never thought would come.

Liverpool, one of the biggest clubs in football, have come calling, offering me £45,000 per week to manage at Anfield.

My transfer budget last year at Dover was £120,000...Liverpool is offering me £30 MILLION.

My wage budget at Dover last year was £50,000 per week...Liverpool is offering £1.8 MILLION per week.

Liverpool looks to be in great shape, with most of their key personnel under contract and coming off a 3rd place finish in the league, they are destined for Champions League play in the upcoming season.

I don't know if I'll find a better opportunity in this game. I've loved my time at Dover and would love to see what I can accomplish but I really don't think I can turn this offer down.

What would you do if you were in my position??

Last edited by NoSkillz : 04-01-2014 at 10:02 AM.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote