View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 10:41 PM   #12
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Awesome, i love real life dynasties (Senator's brother on is my all time fav one in FOFC).

Btw, question about HS football. Do you have different leagues by group ages? it's not like college football where freshmen play alongside with seniors?

I thought it was the same in HS football, with only one league for the whole HS level.

Like Poli said it is broken down by grade level. In my time Coaching HS we have never had a freshman on the varsity. There have been a couple of kids that have come through that could have done it physically, but mentally they are nowhere near ready. Probably the best chance for a freshman to play varsity is at WR and since we don't throw a lot most of our best skill kids play in the backfield and/or secondary. So for the most part it is Seniors, Juniors and a few Sophmores on varsity. Most of the Sophmores and a a few Juniors who are small, or maybe not as talented on the JV and all the Freshmen play together. We also do not cut at our school, so anyone who comes out makes the team.

In addition to this, high schools are broken down into different divisions based on enrollment. In AZ there are seven classifications 5A-1 (The biggest) 5A-2 (Our division) 4A-1, 4A-2, 3A, 2A and 1A (they play 8 man Football in this classification)

Short note on tonights practice, offense was improved, but still a notch below Saturday, I basically challenged the kids to work on one aspect of their game here to improve each day. Before our opener I still want to get 2 pass plays in, unbalanced and trade (Where the Tight end will line up on one side, then shift to the other after the defense gets set) Trade is effect against teams that align their Defense to your strength (Our first game opponent doesn't) so no big deal if that is not in. Also I could make do without the passes, but unbalanced is a must as they played a 6-2 against us about half the game last year and unbalanced created havoc with it. There is just no way adjust a 6-2 to unbalanced without leaving something to exploit with the Wing-T.

I am really trying to stay positive about the offense, because in all honestly we are able to put a scout Defense on the field that is as good as some starting Defenses we will face this year, so it will only benefit us. Our NT Raoul H in particular is a thorn in the side. He is 3rd or 4th string center and starts at NT so he takes all the first D reps and all the scout reps too. He is going to create havoc if he is not double teamed this year. In addition our starting Stud End Malik is 3rd TE, so he gets a lot of scout reps as well and had a sack and a tackle for loss against the JV Saturday, so I am happy we are getting such a good look.

Our scout Offense also executed the plays we saw in last years opener against this team and the Defense got their keys down fairly well. My only concern here is getting our backside LB'ers to play the proper technique when flow goes away as they ran toss fake, naked boot on us several times last year. This will be a focus of group work th erest of the week.

Right now we are working 3 kids deep at a lot of positions still (4 at a few) but as we get closer to the opener, I will pare reps down on both sides of the ball to the 1's and 2's only (with a few select 3's here and there) During our last full pad practice Monday the 1's will take 65-70 percent of the reps, with the rest split amongst players that can help us in the first game.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote