View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 06:45 PM   #448
Radii
Head Coach

November 15, 2015 - Polar Bear Tip-Off Classic

Ohio (2-0) vs Arizona State (2-0)

This will be our most difficult opponent all season until/unless we get to the NCAA Tournament. ASU is rated 86 OVR (86 off/86 def/89 sht/89 reb) and is still coached by Herb Sendek who is rated 89 as well.

They have two players with all-american caliber ratings. They appear to be a bit weak inside comparatively. They're the first team we've ever played that has a player with the “coach on the floor” designation. They play at a slow pace and shoot a ton of 3's.

Scouting

PG Seth Carroto – JR – 80 OVR – 92 speed/87 quickness, exceptional. 86 defense, 90 steals(ouch!). 87 hands/81 passing, both very good. 87 close/75 med/68 3. 83 off the dribble. Carroto isn't much of a scorer.

SG Dominic Romero – SR – 87 OVR – 86 speed/86 quickness. 83 defense(just average, hooray). 86 close/84 med/91 3, a real sharpshooter. 88 off the dribble, 78 in traffic. Averaged 15 ppg last year, was a 5* top 20 recruit a few seasons ago, and projected to be a 1st round draft pick in the NBA.

SF Cameron Hartman – JR – 87 OVR – 6'8” - 86 off awareness/80 def awareness earns Hartman coach on the floor designation. 85 speed/83 quickness is incredible for a SF. 85 defense, 92 close/76 med/77 3. 80 off the dribble/91 in traffic. 87 vertical/75 str... Great rebounder for a SF too. All american caliber talent it would seem. Hartman was the #5 recruit in the country 2 years ago and was first team all PAC 10 last year.

PF Davin Zivanovic – SR – 75 OVR – Only 6'6, a natural SF. 72 orb/74 drb, we look good against that. 70 post offense/69 post defense. 84 close/78 med/70 3/82 in traffic. He looks like a fine SF but a very poor fit in the post. Has 3 rebounds in 2 games so far.

C Trevor Norris – SO – 67 OVR – Only 6'7”. 79 orb/81 drb, we do ok against that too, we really ought to have an edge on the boards. 80 post off/74 post def. 81 close/82 in traffic. Only has 7 boards in 2 games so far.

Well, we should have an edge inside, but I don't score well inside so I'm not sure how much I can do there. Romero and Hartman... wow. Their backup guards are as good as our starters. We'll try to keep the game slow against them, with them running the princeton offense perhaps we can stay close and have a chance to win a game in the 50s?

Half
Time
OHIO
ASU
Notes
12:10
So the problem appears to be that their PF has SF skills and isn't missing anything outside. Zivanovic has 10 points to lead them and is killing Bright. Bright on our end has all 4 of our points. They spend some time in a 2-3 zone and to win we're going to have to shoot well. So far Murphy has missed 3 wide open 3's and lamkin one. Backups are in.
6:10
We're on a 6-2 run, Grundy has 4. Santiago and Mendoza both miss wide open 3's, making us 0-6 now I believe from 3. We also missed two layups, contested, that we don't normally miss against worse defenders. Starters are back in after an ASU timeout.

HALF
Disappointing finish to the half. We had the lead down to 7, 25-18. We forced misses on two straight trips but hartman got the offensive board and putback both times for them. Then we threw the ball away against the press with 30 seconds left and gave up a layup. Could have taken this into the locker room just down 6 or 8, instead 13.

For them, Zivanovic has 12 and Hartman has 7. They are shooting 15-26, 3-6 from 3. We are 7-21 from the field and 0-8 from 3. 6-8 from the line has saved us a bit. We only drew 4 fouls all half but they were all shooting fouls inside.

Bright leads us with 8. Grundy 4, Lamkin 3. We can get in this if we can make some damn open shots this half.
17:00
They have started cold this half, we're getting every rebound, and getting out on the break. Santiago has missed a tough shot in transition and a free throw or it could have been even closer, but a 5-0 run has helped here.
14:55
They score 7 straight.. Lufkin misses a shot in transition he usually makes, Santiago misses another 3 and they get 7 straight. Ugh. I call a timeout.
14:40
Hartman strips Lufkin, drives out of bounds going after the ball and Lufkin picks it up and makes our first 3 pointer of the game. We're now 1-12 from behind the arc.
12:45
Ugh, I had already called for the backups... Lufkin draws a foul and makes two free throws. Santiago hits a 3 pointer. Lufkin drives to the hoop and is fouled while making a layup. We get the 6th man going for us, and our backups come in. I would have kept the starters in another minute or so. Oh well. Lufkin misses the FT, their ball. Lead down to 5!!! This run is coming entirely from missed shots, no turnovers but our defense is playing great.
12:10
Another miss for ASU, we get the board and Keller hits a basket inside soon after we set up the offense. Timeout ASU!
9:25
I call a timeout after a tough stretch. They get a FT. Mendoza misses a wide open 3. We get a steal but Lamkin turns it over making a move to the basket. They get a 3. Mendoza misses another wide open 3. They just missed a shot and we call a timeout after the rebound to try to change the momentum.
7:10
They go up 49-39. I run off 4 in a row before they get a free throw to make it a 7 point game. I get the starters back in. I've got 3 timeouts and hopefully another 6th man boost in me, the starters have to tough this out. Mendoza missed another wide open 3, Grundy allowed one for them, just rough times for the backups.
5:00
Another 1-2 at the line for them, a Lufkin bucket and a Bright bucket for us make it a 4 point game. Watson just picked up his 4th foul for us, and we have 6 as a team so they'll shoot the rest of the way.
4:20
We get a great stop on defense and are working our offense when Watson gets called for 3 seconds in the lane. I wasn't controlling him, I didn't pass to him... this almost never happens without me getting him involved and leaving him in a bad spot. UGH!
3:10
They score 4 straight and I call a timeout.
1:50
We get two more straight stops... Santiago misses another open 3, Murphy is blocked in embarrassing fashion driving to the basket, and Santiago falls down making a move on his man. They score in transition after that last one and I call another timeout.

We can't get it down to less than 8.

Arizona State 64
Ohio 51

Well in one sense this is very disappointing. We shot 2-20 from the 3 point line. I believe that at least 15 of them were open shots and only the last 3 or so in the final 2 minutes were really forced. The shots were there. Make it even just 5-20 and maybe it plays out differently. In another sense we hung for most of the game with a very talented major conference team and at times made some very good plays.

Their PF Zivanovic really killed us. 19 points, 3-5 from 3. He rarely missed an open shot and made a few contested ones too. Hartman scored 13, Romero 7, Carroto 11 for their other talented starters.

Murphy: 2 points (0-5 3)
Lamkin: 3 points/3 assists (0-2 3, 1-4 total)
Lufkin: 11 points/6 boards
Bright: 12 points/6 boards
Watson: 2 points/9 boards

Santiago: 8 points (1-8 3)
Grundy: 6 points
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote