View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019, 06:16 PM   #34
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 September 2015

After the swirl of events that took place in and around Eamonn Deacy Park in June, July, and early August, the last few weeks have been much more normal. That is, if being top of the league in our first year in the Premier Division is normal.

The Dundalk match was a very good one, a neutral's delight. We struck early through Pasquale Van Daele, and their outstanding striker, Craig Robinson, equalized not long after. I couldn't fault our defenders or our young goalkeeper on Robinson's goal. It was a fine strike, the kind you might expect the league's top scorer to make.

Four minutes later, Rudmer Talsma lashed in a goal to put us ahead again. He was back in the starting XI because Damion Watson tore a hamstring, getting the chance at first team football he'd been clamoring for, albeit under unfortunate circumstances.

Their on-loan striker, Everton man Eion O'Reilly, brought them level again before the half, and that's how the game ended. We were, on the whole, the better side, and I'll take a point from a match away to our biggest rival for the league title. We went back home with the same two-point lead we had when we arrived.

Darcy Bradford was cleared to return to action the next day. In years to come, when old men and women tell the tale of the '15 season, I hope they remember young Alexander van der Steen, who gamely went between the posts in our time of need and played like a hero. In six Premier Division matches, Alexander let in a paltry five goals and kept three clean sheets. Even better, Galway won five and drew one with him on the job.

Alexander van der Steen

Darcy had very little to do against Shamrock Rovers, making a single save. A flurry of three goals late in the first half put this one away for us.

Next came the Third Round of the Challenge Cup. With a week off before our next league fixture, I could field a strong side against our old friends from the First Division, Wexford Youths. Niall Kennedy, a forward who hasn't had much opportunity to strut his stuff, had a brace, and Talsma found the net for the third straight match.

UCD played against us the way you would expect a team trying to stay up would play against the league leader. We had 63% of the ball and took 17 shots to their three. We hit the woodwork four times, but all that really matters is the score: nil-nil.

That point was a big deal for UCD, wasn't it?

It looks like our ticket to European football is almost punched. With six matches to go, we're eight points clear of fourth, which seems to be the place we need to be. Let's push on and see if we can lift another trophy, shall we?

When Ireland manager Paul Martin picked his team for this month's European Championship qualifying matches against Scotland and Gibraltar, this item appeared:

Before I leave Galway United, I'd like to produce at least one player who becomes a full Ireland international.

As I was looking at the Ireland squad for the Under 21 European qualifiers, I saw three lads who play their club football at home: Alan Kelly of Dundalk, and William Conway and Mark Dunne of Shamrock Rovers. I also noticed a player who is a free agent, a midfielder called Gareth Kearney. I'm having Wouter Beentjes look him over, and perhaps I'll be making him an offer soon.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote