View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 02:53 PM   #40
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

17 October 2015

Cork City v. Galway United
Turner's Cross, Cork

We didn't have time to stew over our loss in the Challenge Cup, and Pasquale Van Daele quickly made sure the players got their heads in the right places.

PVD has had an outstanding season, and especially since he became a full-time Galway player, he has been every bit as outstanding a leader. His ankle healed, he'd be returning to the lineup at Turner's Cross.

Friday evening's results added an additional layer of drama to the match.

Dundalk's victory preserved their slim chance of lifting the trophy. If they won their last match and we lost ours, they would win the league.

The news from Sligo was more encouraging. St. Pat's chances were now no better than Dundalk's, after they managed only a draw against Rovers. St. Pat's Siguršur Kjartansson put his team ahead with a well-taken goal. Then, Graham Kinsella, already on a yellow card, hacked down Sligo's Lee Cahill, and he was given an early bath. Cahill made Kinsella's mistake even worse by scoring the goal that drew Rovers level.

That result meant that we could clinch the league with a victory tonight.

GK: Darcy Bradford
D: Alan Woods, Sean Glynn, Roy Murphy, Kenneth Dķaz (C)
DM: Aaron O'Connor
MC: Gareth Kearney, Billy Ryan
AM: Peter Johansson, Pasquale Van Daele
ST: Declan Nolan

The match took some time to find its footing. Gareth Kearney was knocked around quite a bit in the first half hour, and it became clear he wouldn't be able to last 90 minutes tonight.

On 37 minutes, we won a corner. Kearney floated it in, and Cork City cleared it back in the direction from which it had come. Roy Murphy reacted quickly, and beat his man to it.

Roy Murphy prepares to make a pass, with Cork's Eddie Moore closing in to defend him

Spotting Aaron O'Connor in space just inside the penalty area, he quickly whirled and passed it toward him, as Aaron slipped to his left to give himself even more room. O'Connor struck the ball first time with his left foot, sending it low and hard to the goalkeeper's right. Craig Long dived, but the shot zipped inside his near post and in.

Aaron O'Connor scores, despite Craig Long's valiant effort

O'Connor celebrates with his teammates

I suppose injuries are inevitable at the end of a long, tough season. Nevertheless, I had to wonder what was going on when Billy Ryan hobbled off just before the half ended, and I wondered even more when Pasquale Van Daele did the same in the opening minutes of the second half! Glen Scully replaced Ryan, and Damion Watson came on for PVD.

As the second half wore on, I slowly made changes that made our playing style increasingly defensive. Meanwhile, I watched Kearney battle on as his fitness level continued to drop. I remembered what happened when I used my last substitution against Shamrock Rovers in the Cup. Finally, on 80', I took a deep breath and brought John McManus on for Kearney.

There were some tense moments in stoppage time, but finally, Derek Tomney blew his whistle three times.

Galway United FC were champions of the Premier Division of Ireland!

Europe, here we come!
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote