View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #177
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I was on the Metro last night, coming home from a jaunt in DC, when I saw this on a sign: "Is your SAVINGS safe?" I wanted to grab a picture of it so I could remember what company actually ran the ad, but by the time I grabbed my phone, the train had moved on (for anybody in the DC area, it was on the orange line, somewhere between Eastern Market and Rosslyn, I was heading west).

My general rule of thumb when it comes to grammar, at a first cut anyway, is, "does it sound right when you say it aloud?" "Is your savings safe" doesn't sound right to me when I say it out loud. I guess it comes down to if "savings" is singular or plural, and after giving it a lot of thought, I couldn't decide. "Savings account" is singular, but "savings" on its own is fairly ambiguous....any thoughts from the grammar crew here?

/tk

Yeah, while I am right with you in this thread and with respect to the deplorable nature of grammar in general, I think this is one of those exceptional (set out as separate; not extraordinary) cases where popular usage may end up trumping a set rule. The use of savings as a singular is very widespread, and at some point, that turns it from wrong to right.

As crappy as that is.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote