View Single Post
Old 05-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #33
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 October 2012

In the past weeks, we lost two more players, one of whom I really wanted to keep. Tony Beattie accepted a contract with Worthing FC (Isthmian League First Division South), only to have them stash him on their reserve team almost immediately. I guess they think Tony needs more time to develop, since he's moving up a level. The other player we lost, Ricky Urry, didn't figure too much i our plans. He's off to Lancing FC (Sussex County League Div. One), which is really a parallel move for him.

We brought in Gary Pryde, who can play anywhere along the back line. Gary is 23, two years younger than Beattie, and his physical and mental attributes are very good. His game is a lot like Beattie's, but he's a bit faster. Gary is a positive influence in the clubhouse, too.

There's a lot of attention being given to Cameron Woolsey and Grant Shaw by other clubs. For a while, it was our midfield that was being shopped over; now it looks like it's our defence.

We played twice in the last weeks of September, away to Holyport FC and home against Shrivenham FC.

15 September
Holyport FC 0-0 Wantage Town
Summerleaze Village, Maidenhead

Attendance: 84

4-4-2
GK: Halsall
D: Hester, Jatto, Price, Hendry
M: Dormer, Cumming-Bart, Botley, Noble
ST: Adams, Wilson

Honorable Mention: Geraint Price (7.0)
One to Forget: Nobody that bad

A boring contest, with only seven shots taken the entire time. We did a good job controlling the ball, but we never really threatened to score. Tom Halsall made his debut for us in goal, and Jo Tessem also appeared for us, coming on in the 61st minute when Chris Cumming-Bart got a knock.

25 September
Wantage Town 2-1 Shrivenham FC
Alfredians Park, Wantage

Attendance: 109

4-4-2
GK: Halsall
D: Woolsey, Jatto, Price, Pryde
M: Dormer, Sumner, Tessem, Noble
ST: Adams, Wilson

Alfredians Goals: Woolsey (13), Hester (61)
Man of the Match: Geraint Price (8.2)
Honorable Mention: Cameron Woolsey (7.6)

Shrivenham are one of our biggest rivals, so the supporters were happy to see us win this one. We took a quick lead on Woolsey's goal before Shrivenham pulled one back right after halftime, but Hester gave us back the lead and we held on. I kept us in a more offensive mind-set, and it worked much better, even when we were holding on to our lead.

We've drawn Tuffley Rovers as our opponent in the first round of the Hellenic Challenge Cup. Our supporters are confident of a big win; the match will be played at Alfredian Park tomorrow.

The board gave me a positive review this month. They're pleased about the signing of Jack Adams (so am I), but they're afraid I might have made a mistake bringing in Conor O'Donnell. I disagree there; I think O'Donnell is a good young goalkeeper. They're pleased with the fact that the club made some money last month (£2,950).

We're currently standing fifth, which I'm very pleased with. I'm a little worried about our club's cohesion, though, since we're still moving a lot of players in and out. On the whole, the new men are better than the ones we had, so I'm hopeful we will come out ahead in the long run.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote