View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014, 04:12 PM   #47
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

The Alfredians are contending in a tight battle for the Hellenic Premier League title, but we've also had our eyes on the Oxfordshire Senior Cup. The final ties were played this month, and here's how they turned out.

9 April 2013
Oxfordshire Senior Cup Final Leg 1

Reading Town 1-2 Wantage Town

Scours Lane, Tiehurst
Attendance: 438
Wet, 9° C

4-4-2
GK: O'Donnell
D: White, Overson, Price, Canoville
M: Dormer, Halls, Cumming-Bart, Hall
ST: Reece, Adams

Alfredians Goals: Matthew Reece (1), Jack Adams (32)

We decided to give Reading something different, switching to a flat 4-4-2. That enabled me to spread the playing time around a bit as we alternate between league fixtures and cup ties for the next two weeks. I got Chris Cumming-Bart, a very good CM, into the lineup this way, too.

Matthew Reece was signed in early March to give us some insurance at striker. He was once in Fulham's youth program, but he didn't get much time here, and Staines Town let him go on a free earlier in the season. He's a hell of a good third striker for this level, and he's only 20. His first Alfredians goal will be one to remember, as it got us off on a flyer and quieted a good-sized crowd at Scours Lane.

Adams scored to give us a 2-0 lead at the half. I slowed our tempo and directed the players to retain possession, and it seemed to work well. Reading pulled one back on 58 minutes, but we held on to bring a 2-1 advantage back to Alfredian Park.

16 April 2013
Oxfordshire Senior Cup Final Leg 2

Wantage Town 4-1 Reading Town

Alfredian Park, Wantage
Attendance: 442
Wet, 13° C

4-4-2 Diamond
GK: O'Donnell
D: Hester, Price, Overson, Canoville
DM: Halls
M: Dormer, Noble
AM: Hall
ST: Adams, Reece

Alfredians Goals: Jack Adams (2, 6, pen22), Chris Hall (56)

I could hear the crowd, chanting and roaring, as I gave my pregame talk to the team. It wasn't difficult to motivate them to play tonight. We came out in attack mode, hoping to take a quick lead. I have to say that worked pretty well for us.

The supporters didn't have time to quiet down before Jack scored one, and then another. He was cut down in the box a short time later, and he buried the penalty to put us up 3-0, and 4-1 on aggregate.

After the half, Chris hit a laser shot from 25 yards that beat their keeper, and from that point forward we went back to our standard mentality, slowed things down, and enjoyed the ride a little bit.

We had a league game, away at Ardley United, on the 13th (we drew, 2-2), so we had to make use of our depth. Fortunately, Paddy Hester and Max Noble returned from their injury lay-offs in time. We subbed in Kevin Asare-Addai, Michael Jatto, and Chris Sim during the second half, so we could rest a few of the lads a bit more.

Jamie Dormer became our captain when Grant Shaw dumped us for Newcastle Benfield back in February, so we got to proudly watch Jamie hoist the Oxfordshire Senior Cup.

The board and the supporters are delighted with our cup victory, and the press has been very complimentary, too. Now, it's time to take care of business in the League. We are a point behind Marlow, 64-63, with three matches left; away to Witney Town (17th in the League), away to Ascot United (9th), and home with Kidlington FC (19th). Marlow has Oxford City Nomads(5th) and Cheltenham Saracens (8th) at home, and end their season away to Binfield FC (18th). And neither of us can count out Highworth Town, third with 60.

Reading Town is still in it, too, with 59. And I'm sure their manager, Keith Wallis, would love to reel us in. Keith and I had quite a smack-talk fest in the days leading up to the final tie.

For now, I'm going to enjoy the satisfaction of my first cup victory as a manager.

This is the Oxfordshire Senior Cup and shield. They've been awarded since 1884-85, and this is the first time Wantage Town have won.
They're shown with a map of Oxfordshire, and the background is (unfortunately) Oxford United's club badge.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote