View Single Post
Old 04-08-2022, 08:53 AM   #43
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Game 4

We were there until 8pm, we brought 10 girls (including our manager) and we forfeited 4th doubles. Despite that, the girls surprised me and we won all 7 flights pretty handily. One one match went to 3-sets, I had a junior who can play 4th single (but preferred to move to doubles this year) playing with a 9th grader who has potential, good strokes but lacks confidence. They dropped the first set playing 2nd doubles, but after being down 4-2, they lost that set 4-6 and you could tell they understood had to string it together. They won the 2nd set 6-2 and grinded the 3rd set I think 6-3, iirc. I was proud of them for figuring it out on the fly, the team they played was mismatched but solid and didn't have a good sense of how to deal with good form.

The opposing coach doesn't like me because he has this false impression that we bring our "JV" players to play them, but this time I had 5 players out of the lineup and it was tough to even manage the lineup I did get. Also, we did bring our 3/4/5 best players with us, last year when we beat them we didn't even have that.

Lucky for them, they have to travel to us next week and I will ensure my 1-2 combo are there to give him what he seems to want, which is to kill these kids confidence playing against two D1 tennis players.

The team did well otherwise, all of them minus #1 s/d were in unfamiliar spots playing solid players who aren't technically sound, but who clearly have been coached extremely well for being straight up beginners by a non-tennis coach teacher who just cared about the program alive.

I was less concerned about losing and more about keeping our streak of wins alive because as good as we were last year, we never had a three-match stretch we won 8-0, 8-0, 7-0 in matches we played. So it's really cool to see them starting to believe they're as good as they are.

We have our rivals on the road next Tuesday. On paper, we should matchup very well against them this year because it seems we've reloaded well beyond what they did since last year, but it'll also be the stiffest test we've had all year and I don't know how the newbies playing in those lower doubles spots will respond to folks who can actually hit consistently & will challenge them.

My hope is that they'll respond well to it, but either way I'm glad we get the road version of that rivalry match out of the way well before districts, though we'll also host them later in the month.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote