World Team Cup Level 2 Group 3 Second Round
Sri Lanka(1-0) vs. Israel(1-0), Indoor

Monday: A. Mehul d. A. Kuttab, 6-0, 6-0, 6-0
Tuesday: U. Naybet d. A. Chittoor, 6-3, 7-6(12), 7-5
Wednesday: A. Mehul/A. Chittoor d. A. Kuttab/U. Naybet, 6-3, 6-1, 6-2
Thursday: A. Mehul d. U. Naybet, 6-0, 6-1, 6-3
Friday: A. Chittoor d. A. Kuttab, 6-1, 6-1, 6-4

Sri Lanka defeats Israel, 4-1!

Well, this tie was quite surprising. Playing indoors was an advantadge but not a huge one against the Israelis. Chittoor losing his first singles match was unsurprising, but he did well to put up a good fight being so out of match shape. When the doubles went our way easily for the 2-1 lead, it was pretty much over because there's no way Mehul was going to lose to anyone Israel has, and Chittoor rebounded by the end of the week for a nice win. Israel really only has one player good enough to play at Level 2 competition, and that did them in.

Romania edged the Slovak Republic 3-2, and we now have nothing to worry about. We are in the quarterfinals and will also finish atop the group no matter what happens. The winner of the Romania-Israel tie could equal us if we somehow lose to the Slovakians, but even in that case we'd own the tiebreaker against either.

Sri Lanka is now up to 35th, easily our best placing to date. It's a big load off my mind to have qualified for the knockout stages. Even if Chittoor hasn't slid far enough to let Girsh in the competition by the last group match, he will assuredly have done so(barring some super-bizarre turn of events) by the fall, and the Mehul/Girsh tandem that will take us through the next several years will finally be formed.

In the meantime, Prakash Mooljee easily rammed his way through a surprisingly weak field to get double titles in his latest Tier-4 event. He's up to 150th now in juniors. I'm in no hurry to move him up to Tier-3's, because he's been getting drilled in practice events lately. He seems to be in that rare 'sweet spot', getting a lot of matches in during tournament weeks, and able to then take a month or even more off for beneficial practice sessions against more advanced players. I'm going to ride that train as long as I can.

Girsh will be heading to a tier-2 challenger in Bergamo in a couple of weeks, it'll be a strong field there most likely but he's set to lose more points than he gains the next few months anyway. Right now that's pretty irrelevant for him; he'll start moving up when he's good enough to beat the better challenger players(33-100 approx. in the rankings) more consistently, and until then it can't be rushed; there's little point in doing anything but maximizing his training. It'll come when it comes. Mehul has about a month off, and will probably play in the Dubai 500 before the Masters in Indian Wells and Miami finish off the first quarter of the year. Overall, it's a pretty dry period coming up the next few weeks in terms of action on the court.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 08-12-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote