View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 04:00 PM   #1151
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Q2 Rankings Update

1. Nicolas Perez (25, ARG) - 14,270

Despite 'only' winning one of the three big events in the early going, Nicolas has expanded his lead and is now over a year consecutive at #1 ... with more to come. There is reason to wonder though whether he might possibly lose ground compared to last year's near-clean-sweep on clay.

2. Harald Wentz (24, AUT) - 10,040

Wentz has always been up and down on clay, but now he's become more so on hardcourts as well. Still more consistently excellent than any of the other challengers, and there's no reason to think he won't stay as a fairly distant #2.

3. Chisulo Mpakati (24, ZIM) - 6,115

Narrowly hanging onto the #3 spot. It's easy to see things potentially getting both better or worse for him.

4. Tobias Velilla (23, ARG) - 5,920

Velilla hasn't done anything since the Australian to validate being #4 in the world ... but having said that he is still quite young. Seems to be very up and down, but could find that consistency in time.

5. Ollie Haas (26, NLD) - 5,460

Still can't count him out in terms of possibly taking a Top 4 spot, but unlike the players currently holding those positions Haas has peaked or is at least very close to it.

6. John Hart (30, IRE) - 5,295

Continuing to fade away, but also up to 33rd in doubles.

7. Calisto Aviles (24, ESP) - 4,820

A strong run in Miami is the lastest in a growing body of evidence that he's broadening himself beyond clay. The big question right now is whether he can unseat Perez again as the top player on the dirt? It's a very real possibility.

8. Il-Sung Jung (25, KOR) - 4,230

Down to 11th after a full year of mostly mediocre showings, Jung grabbed the Miami title to regain singles relevancy and remind everyone that he's still a threat when he wants to be. With #8 having about 70% of the points of #3, continued mobility up and down the Top 10 is expected.

9. Lucas Perez (25, ARG) - 3,770

I'd given up on Lucas P making his move, so of course he did so when, after an unimpressive AO, he reached the SF in IW and QF in Miami. Now, as has been observed, the question becomes whether he can carry forward this streak of strong play onto his favored clay?

10. Tim de Jong (27, NLD) - 3,710

A renaissance is always possible, but de Jong is playing evermore like the weak link, the guy who doesn't belong.

11. Srba Dogic (26, CRO)

Up to 9th for a while, then back down with the surges of L. Perez and Jung ... and probably he'll bounce back up past Hart and possibly de Jong as well eventually. He's below the standard of the other high-achievers though for sure.

13. Clavet Moniotte (26, FRA)

Up a few spots to a career high despite some upsets - although with his low facility on hardcourts, were they really? I forget how much of a fan of indoor play he is, and also strong on clay.

17. Sushant Chiba (31, SRI)

Surging back to the top spot in the nation's rankings despite his age. It's almost like he's mad that I'm shifting him doubles and proving he can still play the singles game. Recently a flattering offer for him to partner with Karl Kaspar in doubles came in, and I normally would have jumped at it if I didn't have other plans.

18. Amrik Kasaravalli (25, SRI)

There's mostly elder statesman between him and that elusive Top-16 berth. Molyneaux, Rhodes, the sliding Solberg, Mathou, and of course Chiba. It's going to happen, but as he approaches his peak Amrik needs to get there ASAP ... and he has a Rome QF to defend so it's an open question whether he can manage during what still should be the best part of his season.

20. Algot Hakanson (26, SWE)

Kind of in the same boat, trying to find a way to push up just a few more spots.

21. Ross Vicars (21, USA)

QF Showing at Miami was helpful for him. Without the partisan crowd and his favored hardcourt surface, I expect less fireworks out of him on the dirt.

22. Fabio Cagide (22, ESP)

On the other hand, there should be more from this prodigy. Let's see if last year's run to the RG quarters was an aberration or not.

23. . Odimos Csollang (21, ROU)

Oh yeah, Csollang is most definitely here to stay after that Miami SF ... and he played like he had a chance to win the darned thing. Not much of a clay guy though so he'll likely struggle more these next months. But in the summer and fall we'll assuredly hear more from him.

25. Acke Kjaerstad (25, SWE)

Slipped a couple spots so far from last year - the next wave of youngsters has passed him by. That whole equal-distribution of surfaces thing is making it hard for him to achieve any kind of breakthrough. He's the guy others win competitive matches against to achieve theirs more often.

32. Joao Narciso (24, BRA)

There's another raft of old fogies in the upper-20s, a batch of players Narciso is leading the charge in trying to push past. Still a number of challenger results to drop off, and a nice run in IW (4th rd) was counterbalanced by tripping up at the first hurdle in Miami.

There are [b]five/b] 30-somethings in the Top 32, the most I ever recall seeing. That's a testament to the staying power of Hart's Harem. Another half-dozen in the 28-29 range, for a total of a third of the section being filled with players that before long won't be there. Only one really (Campos) has even dropped out in recent times. The transition hasn't happened yet, but it's coming and should start basically like now.

34. Helmut Edlund (23, SWE)

Still hanging out at the top of the Challenger ranks, awaiting his moment to move up.

36. Willy Weigl (23, AUT)

Yep, him too.

49. Tommy Fitzpatrick (21, IRE)

A couple recent Challenger titles have moved TFitz into the Top 50! Congrats!! I'll be surprised if he's still playing at this level by the end of the year.

51. Mark Smith (21, GBR)

A couple of near-misses with runner-up showing in CH2 Singapore and CH2 Pingguo lately have Smith sort of having hit a speed bump. Once the grass season arrives we'll see how much he's learned since last year - that's when he'll either make a big push, or not.

73. Nasir Chittoor (21, SRI)

The reduced doubles schedule means Chittoor is actually ranked higher in singles than the pairs accounting. He's up modestly (10 spots) so far even with the string of successes halted in Barranquilla. It's all about continuing to improve still, since Nasir is not yet quite ready to consistently beat the best of the Challenger foes. That time is fast approaching though, and things could be different as soon as this summer.

79(D). Satyagit Guha (21, SRI)

Doubles ranking is actually down a bit, but up to 289th in singles. It would be most useful for him to break out of futures there, and that's the primary goal right now. Also closing in on maxing out his doubles technique.

109. Ritwik Intodia (21, SRI)

After a QF showing in CH2 Meknes (won in doubles), Intodia took over a month off until this week so he hasn't played a bunch lately, but still up from 125th at the start of the year and gradually forging upwards.

158. Helmut Hoetker (20, SUI)

Still looking for a challenger title but he's had a SF and F showings recently so he's getting close. Gradual progress.

166. Rakesh Kayeeda (21, SRI)

Back up into the Challenger ranks where he 'belongs', and the long climb resumes.

170. Lubos Rucklov (19, CZE)

Already a pair of CH3 SF showings have this teen clearly established at the challenger level.

179. Chiang-hui Cheng (19, TPE)

Also done with futures - recently a SF result at CH3 Bath.

403. Mike Corey (18, USA)

Wins some low-level futures events, others he's merely gotten close in, but it seems likely Corey will take aim at the higher tiers soon.

1659. Paolo Petrocelli (22, AUS)

A new addition who severely needs to be playing both aspects in amateurs to get his form up (2.1 as of this writing). A starter player who, if properly handled, will get his manager the points to invest elsewhere for players with a better future.

191(J). Joseph Charriol (16, MAL)

Victorious in JG4 Asuncion, but multiple attempts to succeed at higher tiers have not yet brought results.

211(J). Aleksije Konstantinovic (17, CRO)

Really, really not nice to make me spell out that name each time *sadface*. Mixed results at the JG3 level in recent months.

419(J). Raul Almaraz (16, PRT)

Aiming a bit high I'd say - Almaraz has some early exits recently. Recommend sticking to the JG4 or even better JG5 level until consistent success is found.

478(J). Hector Asurmendi (15, ARG)

Meteoric young player who just needs more matches - again both aspects of JG5 events are recommended. Projects with slightly above-average athleticism and endurance, not a great talent but definitely a player who could potentially do a few things.

567(J). Raul Estanada (15, CHI)

Another recent hire who had an ill-advised dip into Amateurs. Again JG5 is the way to go. Excellent talent, decent athleticism, but topping out at 2.2 endurance will make things really tough.

781(J). Eduardo Yroz (15, CHI)

Being scheduled quite intelligently so far this year. After one event with early exits, seems to be doing better in the last couple and establishing himself.

912(J). Sebastien Bisteri (15, ESP)

Low form (6.7) brought about by entering the wrong events. You know the drill by now -- JG5s, singles and doubles.

1085(J). Ambroz Kozubek (15, CZE)

Seems to have the right idea, but stay away from the Amatuers ... and hilariously tried to qualify at the senior AO with predictable results. Crawl before trying that olympic sprint.

1230(J). Kjell Falkeving (15, SWE)

Needs more tournaments to get that form up.

1233(J). Anant Koppula (15, SWE)

Repeating myself once more, stay away from anything that isn't a JG5 until the form is where it needs to be.

Probably also worth nothing that my manager ranking has been on the rise for a while now again. Was in the upper teens and about 13k points - I'm now up to 9th and 20k+. Still a long way to go, but we're on the mend.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 08-16-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote