View Single Post
Old 08-29-2019, 03:20 AM   #1165
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

That would be even stranger!

June

Not a whole lot happened.

Three of my players just took the whole period between the channel slams off to practice. Amrik Kasaravalli played in Queen's Club (500), mostly because I felt I needed to have him play in 500s at this point and he could use some improvement I that category. I wasn't expecting much, but he had himself an interesting time. Local favorite and former Anilophile Mike Ferry was his first opponent, and he made it tough before a long tiebreak ended the match in straight sets. Pretty routine advancement against Dobos and Stachovsky led Amrik to a SF matchup against Pedro Perez, who I'd recently tipped to escape the challenger ranks soon. By getting this far, Perez had nearly done so. He was right on the edge of being seeded at Wimbledon, or not. Meanwhile going further would be a significant boost to Kasaravalli pushing towards the Top 10. So there was a lot to play for here. I expected to win, but Perez was little better all the way around, and took a 6-3, 7-6(2) victory. So he's decisively graduated, even with a loss to Mpakati in the final. Meanwhile, Mark Smith fell a round short of last year's SF result here, thanks to Kjaerstad taking a dual-tiebreak tilt.

Events elsewhere progressed largely as they have, and a further settling-out is about to occur. It would seem that Wimbledon will crown a new champion as John Hart won there the last two years, as well as four out of the past six. Strange things often happen on the grass, and there's usually at least a major surprise or two. Who will it be this year?

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 08-29-2019 at 03:21 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote