View Single Post
Old 09-05-2022, 03:21 PM   #1278
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Fall 2088 Rankings Update

1. Leon Polychroniadis (26, GRC) - 13,695

Holding on, at least for now.

2. Renke Cananis (26, DEU) - 12,680

Cananis annoys me. Good enough that he is able to hold off everyone else, not good enough due to too much neglect of baseline play and too many tournament matches that he's mostly stuck playing second fiddle to Polychroniadis who is miles above him in rally skill and better-managed.

3. Themis Xanthos (26, CYP) - 8,700

Then there's Mr. 'Masters events are optional'. Didn't enter the USO till the 11th hour either. Playing with fire, but still very good on the hardcourts.

4. Alexander Reimann (27, DEU) - 7,070

5. Ben Faille (21, FRA) - 6,120

Steadily creeping up on Reimann.

6. Solitris Papadias (26, GRC) - 5,430

7. Toni Bardales (25, ESP) - 5,310

8. Jochen Weigle (24, SUI) - 4,750

Simple fact is I over-rated Weigle initially. He's just not good enough yet to challenge the top players.

9. Ale Ballok (24, ITA) - 3,725

10. Alketas Albanos (25, CYP) - 3,050

10th spot has been a revolving door this year. Albanos is back, at least for the moment.

16. Oleg Urazov (22, CAN)

The youth movement is starting to mount on Page Two; we'll look at more of them at the end of the year. Urazov is mostly biding his time, he's not quite ready to challenge for the next level. Possibly next year.

404. Manoj Datar (31, SRI)

Back into the Top 200 in doubles. Given that, I've started entering him in Challengers instead of futures. Probably get a lot of early singles losses, but he's better in doubles now anyway so we'll see what he can do there. Manoj is Sri Lanka's #2 in both disciplines, and closer to being #1 than falling from that perch. He'll be a fixture in the WTC competitions it would appear, and should have his trainer allotment saved up in about a week so I will start working on his abilities at that point.

707. Sushant Srivastava (23, SRI)

He's done just enough to stay in the futures level when a futures victory drops off his ranking in a couple weeks. After the fall, he'll gradually claw his way back up. Last two events are a final and a semifinal, so that bodes well.

2548. Aparna Chandrasekharan (18, SRI)

It's easy to forget that rankings can have a fourth digit. Like Srivastava only at the amateur level, he appears to have gotten himself to the point where he can successfully grind his way upwards.

905 (J). Girish Raychaudhari (14, SRI)

Hit and miss, he's had a couple early exits lately which was a bit disappointing but not entirely unexpected. Technically he's still on borrowed time; he won't turn 15 until early next year, so Raychaudhari doesn't need to be ready to move on from the bottom-level JG5 tier for quite a while.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 09-05-2022 at 03:22 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote