View Single Post
Old 04-04-2023, 02:44 AM   #32
Izulde
Head Coach

vs UC-Irvine 5-7 (0-2)
Rough start to the season for the Anteaters, who have a weakness at PF with a freshman who only scores... but they have plenty of other scorers. Could be a track meet, and overall I do like our chances to get back on the .500 overall and a little cushion for our AD's target of a .500 conference season.

We eat their lunch and play spectacular defense - up 44-19 at the half. Not even we can blow a lead this big this late in the game.

We don't, winning 70-47. Joseph Velarde and Angel Moore each swipe 3, scoring 14 and 12 respectively. Rabbithead steals 2, too, putting up 10 and 7 besides. But the player of the Game goes to Winston Reyes with his 12 points, 7 rebounds, and a steal in 20 minutes. Just a solid, balanced all-around victory. More pressure for their embattled coach.

vs Hawaii 10-4 (2-1)
The Rainbow Warriors are finally winning games after all that glitzy recruiting and Dietrich Hirschmann is having a breakout season in his final year. Still, I feel like this is a winnable game against Team United Nations. Their development of players has been absolutely dreadful because everyone is busy having long ass flights to get to and from campus.

An early shooting slump has me potentially eating my words, but we grind our way back and score the last 5 points of the half on a Joseph Velarde trey and Raphael Taylor steal and a dunk to put us up 35-29. No lead is ever safe with us, of course.

We're fending them off most of the second half, but then they go up late and it's looking like another doomfest until good Rabbithead shows up and nails a clutch 3 point buzzer-beater to tie it up at 68 and send us to OT!

That breaks their spirit and we dominate extra time to walk out 78-72 victors. Bill Crook and Dietrich Hirschmann combined for 43 points, each scoring 20+. but Clutch Rabbit leads the counter and wins the game award with 17 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 steals. Joseph Velarde and Angel Moore were both wasteful as hell in their shooting to double digits, but swipe 4 and 2 respectively, with Moore adding a block. Thomas Hadden is stellar off the bench with 11 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks, and 2 steals.

@ Cal Poly 8-6 (3-0)
The Mustangs still have Chris Perry and David Montes, the latter the two-time reigning Big West Conference Player of the Year. Ariel Norton combines with Perry to make the conference's best post duo. No surprise they're undefeated and I think it'll be a pretty heavy L for us.

It is, though we get to single digits in a fightback in the second half before falling 60-78. Reinaldo Gonzalez is great with 16 points, 6 rebounds, and 2 steals. But Angel Moore wastes shots en route to 14 points and 3 steals, and David Montes drops 34 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, and 4 steals on us.

@ Long Beach State 7-8 (2-2)
The Beach's star never recovered after their first season flash in the pan, but Dominique Larsen is having the best year of his life, averaging 18.8 points on respectable efficiency, and they have seniors at PG, SG, SF. This smells like another loss to drop us back to .500 in the Big West and surrender our cushion.

Christ. Isidoro Lopez launches one just past halfcourt at the buzzer to put them up 27-26 and the crowd is in absolute raptures. That smells like a backbreaking dagger in terms of morale.

But then Angel Moore comes out pissed off, scoring 15 in the second half on his way to 25 and Player of the Game, and we win an ugly one, 57-47. Fantastic defense and vintage Matadors, with Rabbithead popping up for 12, 8, and a steal. The Fish Knight grabs 11 boards on the back of the brick houses being built.

vs Pacific 2-13 (1-5)
So the Tigers have a passing wizard in PG Leonardo Menendez, but the junior has no teammates to take advantage of those skills. This team is pure ass. But they've trap game beat us before, so I'm not guaranteeing anything, though this should be a comfortable victory.

Naturally, they're up 38-37 at the buzzer and could easily be way in front if they could make their FTs. I'm annoyed that once again, we're playing down to their level.

They can't miss a single shot and shoot 51.7%, 40% from the 3 point line in upsetting us 81-78. Dorian Cahoon, a senior reserve center, has the literal game of his life in scoring 20 points and we're all like WTF just happened. So annoying. I won't miss Angel Moore's volume shooting at all next year. He's never shot higher than the 38.6% his freshman year.

vs CSU-Fullerton 8-10 (2-5)
The Titans actually have a pretty talented team by the color ratings. Problem is, no one can shoot the ball with any accuracy. Which of course means they'll beat us by 30.

Weird first half. They're shooting 51.9% from the field and 25% from the charity stripe and behind the arc. It adds up to a 41-31 advantage good guys after Florentin Dupretz scores his only points on a late trey to bring us back to double-digits.

No one can shoot in the second half, and we grind out a 68-60 win. Angel Moore gets the honors with 17 points and 3 steals, but it should have gone to Winston Reyes' 13 points, 7 rebounds, 4 blocks, and 3 steals. Weird decision there. 11 rebounds and a block for the Fish Knight.

vs UC-Davis 14-4 (7-1)
The Aggies have stellar coaching of course and a scoring god in Kenneth Nugent, and those two combined are enough to make them the class of the Big West in results, even though Cal Poly is actually a way more talented squad.

Both teams are struggling and we get cold at the wrong time on the back end of 20, surrendering a slender lead to go down 32-35. They'll make adjustments and shred us, of course.

Kenneth Nugent torches for 29 points and 2 steals, but the second half ends up a scrappy back and forth affair. Angel Moore tries to give the game away with a typically non-clutch turnover, but we escape with the 74-71 upset as the Aggies can't overcome 30.7% shooting as a team. Our backcourt combines for 22 points on 4 of 15 shooting, but Rabbithead pulls out another clutch rescue - 18 points, 7 rebounds, a block, and 3 steals - including a fourth robbery in taking PotG away from Nugent.

And just like that, we're 11-9 (6-3). Three games up on .500, already having tied our Big West win totals the last two seasons and closing in on this year's senior year class's freshman high of 8 conference wins.

Even better, at the end of the month, we find a French wing, 2* Papillion Faulvarque, who whilst not great by the rainbow (Red/Yellow) looks like a solid all-around player. He has no offers, so we try to jump in quick and land him, spending every literal last dollar on a campus visit and my flying over to Aubagne.

Code:
2017 Big West Conference Standings TEAM CW CL Pct W L Pct RPI Prestige -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- UC Riverside Highlanders 8 1 .889 13 8 .619 36 48 UC Santa Barbara Gauchos 7 2 .778 10 10 .500 120 48 UC Davis Aggies 7 2 .778 14 5 .737 102 46 Cal Poly Mustangs 6 3 .667 11 9 .550 93 42 Cal State Northridge Matadors 6 3 .667 11 9 .550 202 16 Hawaii Rainbow Warriors 3 6 .333 11 9 .550 172 21 Cal State Fullerton Titans 3 6 .333 9 11 .450 226 23 Long Beach State 49ers 3 6 .333 8 12 .400 242 23 Pacific Tigers 2 7 .222 3 16 .158 285 16 UC Irvine Anteaters 0 9 .000 6 14 .300 196 24

Talk about a top half/bottom half split so far in conference play. Looking at this, unless the Anteaters win out, Elliott Borrego will be looking for a job next year I bet.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote