View Single Post
Old 04-12-2023, 01:16 AM   #39
Izulde
Head Coach

Thanks to 14 points, 8 rebounds, and a steal from Gem Gonzalez, we have a competitive 51-62 loss to UConn. 15 points and a block from Winston Reyes is part of a stunning 4 point lead on Stanford and we're close for the entire first half before falling 47-62. It's a 12/7/1/1 line from Gem Gonzalez and 8 points, 10 rebounds and a block from Winston Reyes as we have another competitive first half against Tennessee before the Volunteers whip us 59-87.

Pretty encouraging that we're at least showing flashes of being able to fight the elite teams in the country, and our RPI shoots up to 73 at one point - green!

We spy 3* William Thrasher, a 6'2 Red/Blue SG from Woodland Hills, CA and offer him because at that point, his talent is just too good to pass up even though we're pretty well loaded at the backcourt. With only one scholarship, we need to try and grab the best player available. We're in a dogfight with CSU-Bakersfield for his services.

vs NJIT (0-5)
Between suspension, injury, and redshirting, the Highlanders have a pretty ragtag roster. Their backcourt is experienced - both seniors - and pretty good scorer/shooters, but I'm not seeing a lot to be worried about here. A home loss would be demoralizing.

And of course they're shooting the hell out of the ball. Where the BEEP is our defense?! We're actually down by two in the locker room, 33-35. There's absolutely no excuse for this. None at all.

How the fuck do we lose by almost 20 to this team? I don't get it. There's absolutely no rationale for it. I'm stunned. A narrow loss, sure because screwy things happen. But 54-73 on our own turf? Pathetic. No highlights because none are deserved.

81st in RPI to almost 200. Green to Red. That's how horrible this defeat was.

vs Coastal Carolina (1-4)
The Chanticleers had one decent 14-16 season back in 2014, but have been single digit big losers ever since (sorry, Thomkal!). Great offensive rebounders, but their perimeter defense is suspect. Here's to hoping we bounce back from that disaster against NJIT. We *should*...

Yeah, we've got this on lock. 50-29 at the half and even with the 60%/33.3% shooting disparity, I'm not seeing any pathway for them to get back in this one. Famous last words, I'm sure, but I feel like this team is quite a bit better than last year's edition.

94-63, setting a new universe record in points scored by 12 and victory margin by 1. What a beauty. Joseph Velarde has his first good game of the season with 24 points and a steal, but it's Florentin Dupretz who wins his second Player of the Game nod this season - 25 points, 8 rebounds, and 2 steals. 10 rebounds, 2 blocks, and a steal by Thomas Hadden.

@ IUPUI (1-5)
By the color charts, it's hard to see why the Jaguars only have one win. And then I dig and their post defense is complete ass. They also have NO ONE who can rebound. Too bad - they were a pretty okay team for a couple years, but their downslide started last season and they're even worse this one. It's a cautionary tale for my bad post recruiting the last couple years. Should be an easy win.

We're up 40-34 at the break and would be more if our FT shooting wasn't so bad. To my surprise, it's Joseph Velarde's 12 points that are pacing us. I figured it'd be our frontcourt going ham, but nope. They actually have a couple of great perimeter defenders, too, making it even more a curiosity.

27 points, a block, and 3 steals. Yeah it's the Joseph Velarde Show with his second straight amazing game. He's the only one in double-digit figures in a 73-63 win, though Winston Reyes was just shy at 9 points, 9 rebounds, and a block.

@ Coppin State (1-7)
I'm just going to need you to peep this:

Code:
Season Team W L CW CL Rank RPI PRS Result -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2017 Coppin State 4 27 2 14 343 343 25 No Postseason 2016 Coppin State 17 15 12 4 153 278 30 Loss in NIT Round 1 2015 Coppin State 14 17 9 7 199 281 29 No Postseason 2014 Coppin State 18 16 11 5 143 195 30 Loss in NCAA Round 1 2013 Coppin State 14 17 10 6 187 183 24 No Postseason

Not sure what the hell happened. It's the same coach, so that's not it. He's a decent recruiter, too. OTOH, they're really, really bad defensively. Like, as in, they deserve their terrible record bad on defense. Can we score 100?

31-22 at the half. We're shooting 38.5% from the free throw line and I'm really mad at all the wasted points. That may well come back to bite us, because they're hitting just 32.1% of their shots in the first and stabilization rules and all that.

Or maybe we're just really good defensively, blip against the Highlanders aside. 69-57 victory to put us on the winning track again. Thomas Hadden is PotG with 8 points, 14 rebounds, 4 blocks. Gem Gonzalez equals him with 4 blocks and scores 12. Florentin Dupretz also scores 12, and Winston Reyes nets 14 with a block. A bit of a breakout game for Geoffrey Blodgett with 10 points and 3 steals off the bench, not missing a single one of his five shots.

vs Nebraska-Omaha (1-7)
The Mavericks have been a pretty typical below-average Summit League team but for whatever reason, the wheels have fallen off this year. I'm not seeing a bad team here in terms of talent, though only Benjamin Patterson, who is an anchor at center, can shoot, so that's probably it. Smells like a trap game.

Yep. They're shooting 50% and it's only a buzzer-beater layup by the Gem that has us down by a bucket, 34-36 at the half. And we were losing pretty handily before that. Snap out of it! You guys are better than this!

We take the lead early in the second half and never relinquish it the rest of the way, though they tie it a couple times. Joseph Velarde's 14 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists, and 3 steals gets the honors in a 70-62 win, though I'd have given it to Florentin Dupretz's 15 points and 4 steals or Reinaldo Gonzalez's halftime hero shot and 18 points, 6 rebounds, a block, and 3 steals. Thomas Hadden with 10 boards and 2 steals - the rare game he doesn't reject one, and Winston Reyes with 12 points and a block.

vs Wofford 2-8 (0-4)
The Terriers have a history of getting beat up in non-conference play and doing marginally better in the conference. The lone exception is 2014, when they were 16-14 (9-11), their only winning record to date. They're really, really bad defensively, don't have any truly good rebounders, and have no 3 point shooters to speak of. This should be a rout.

Until we shoot 25% as a team in the first half and are down 26-27 at the half. I'm not especially worried unless this is one of those games where everyone decides F it, we're not going to make anything tonight.

It's a see-saw second half. They get hot. 74-77 loss and I want to break something. Three of our starters fouled out, so the refs really fucked us over in this one. What a waste of Florentin Dupretz's 22 points and 10 rebounds before he got tossed for fouls.

William Thrasher goes to CSU-Bakersfield after watching that hot mess. I don't blame him, but it's more bad news on top of everything else.

Our walk-on SG gets an academic suspension. Good. Get the hell off the court. Another walk-on is crying about PT. Get bent.

It's after 11 pm here and I have to be up at 5:30 so I'm out for the night or I'll be up until dawn. Let's just say the Big West is looking very interesting this season after skimming the non-conference slate.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote