View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #37
Autumn
Head Coach

We have to make a choice for our teen boys by the 17th.

The regular plan for high school is 2 days a week in person, slightly shorter days. They've switched to a block semester schedule so the kids have only 4 classes at a time and less switching, will have only half the number of kids in class, masks on, etc. The rest of the week they work remotely.

Alternately, we can choose to opt out of that and go full remote learning. Here they clearly don't really have a plan. They're waiting to see how many students do it, how many teachers refuse to teach in-person and then winging it from there. It seems obvious to me there are severe logistical problems with doing this at a high school level, but no real plan to address them.

My oldest wants to go to school because he recognizes he did poorly on his own. My youngest wants to stay home because he can't imagine having to wear a mask all day in a stuffy room (he's always been very sensitive to fabrics, sensations, etc.).

I am torn. On the one hand, remote learning sounds like a mess because they have not prepped for it. On the other, chances of everyone being sent home within a few weeks of school seem high, so why run the risk of getting them exposed? Teachers will have a couple weeks to plan for this hybrid learning, students are spaced out in desks with masks and can't really interact, I'm not sure how much better that will be than an admittedly half-assed remote plan.

My wife and I mostly work at home, and these guys are teens, so we can afford to keep them home if we want (though it wasn't exactly easy even so). So I also wonder if we should just do that and reduce the population in the school for those who have to go. This is tough.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote