View Single Post
Old 09-28-2018, 08:25 AM   #34
revrew
Team Chaplain

Des Moines Dragons Coach Jim Wells, a former University of Iowa assistant under Kirk Ferentz and former offensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals, is famously a man of few words. Never has that been more clear than in the formation of the Dragons, where Wells steadfastly refused to talk to the press. Not an interview, not a social media post, not a quote.

Was that just because of his reticence to talk publicly? Or was Jack Ledger coordinating it behind the scenes? If the latter, it will surely only add to Ledger's legend as a public relations god, for at the conclusion of the Dragons' first pre-season game, when Coach Wells was compelled by NFL rules to take the podium (for the first time), the press room was overflowing with cameras, mics, and reporters. The entire sports media universe had shown up, it seems, to listen in on the first public words spoken by the Dragons' captain.

The 60-year-old, gruff and wizened coach, bedecked in a Dragon-green windbreaker, stepped up to the microphone cluster. His responses to reporter questions, per trademark Wells, were clipped, but thoughtful:

"Coach Wells, were you aware prior to your hire of Jack Ledger's plan to build a team entirely of Iowa players?"

"He picks 'em, I coaches 'em. That was the deal."

"So you were aware of the plan ahead of time?"

"What's it matter? He could pick kangaroos, for all I care. He picks 'em, I coaches 'em. That was the deal."

"Are you concerned at all that building a team of players from only one of the 50 states could put the Dragons at a disadvantage?"

"No."

"Do you believe you can win this kind of team?"

"Yes."

"Coach, how do you think you can win without access to 95% of the available players?"

"We'll win with the players we have, just like every other team."

"Coach, can you explain why you kept the first-string players in through most of today's game?"

"Brand new team. The first string needs all the time together they can get."

"So it wasn't just a publicity move, to make sure the Dragons win their first game?"

"I like to win. If you don't, you're in the wrong business."

"Do you think the Jets will take it as an insult that your starters beat up on the backups?"

"They don't want to see how their young guys perform against NFL starters? I would."

"But what if they take offense at the Dragons running up the score?"

Wells gave the reporters a moment of silence, a scowl, then said, "Let 'em."
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote