View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 02:42 PM   #302
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I need to share this story, because for me it's moments like this that make the game so great.

This story focuses on one player, in one game. I'm hoping that in some way it's a precursor to reality.

2018/2019

Gigi Buffon is 41 years young. Still a 2-star goalie by my scouts. He's no longer the starting GK for my Juventus squad, having been supplanted by the 27 year old Jeronimo Rulli in the everyday duties.

Still, with a heavy schedule, he manages to post 15 starts (and one substitute appearance that we're getting to) while only allowing 12 goals. Technically, better than Rulli. He actually performed better in his 10 Serie A starts then in his 3 Coppa Italia starts. But, like a true champion, he saved the best for the biggest stage. In 3 Champions League appearances (including 1 substitute appearance we'll get to) he registered a 0.43 allowed/90 rate.

I fight my way through Bayern Leverkusen, Chelski, and Man City in the Champions League, only to end up with Real Madrid as my opponent in the Champions League final. For the second year in a row.

Last year I won the game on a 118th minute goal by Domenico Berardi (one of an incredible 48 in 45 appearances he scored).

The game is to be played at the San Siro.

Madrid play a 4-1-4-1 versus my 4-3-1-2.

I start Isco and Alvaro Morata to really rub it in to Madrid (at least in my head). It also helps they've been the lynchpin of my offense this year.

Chiellini scores in the 2nd minute. I feel the party starting.
Berardi scores in the 31st minute and the party is in full swing.
Morata goes off injured at the half, to be replaced with Carlos Tevez.

Yarmolenko scores in the 63rd minute for Madrid.
CR7 scores in the 65th minute.
Disaster. Italian hearts are breaking.
BUT WAIT...CARLOS TEVEZ SCORES IN THE 68th MINUTE ON A PUTBACK. One of 3 FK's that Berardi puts off the crossbar in the game (Chiellini's first goal was one too).
I bunker down.
Toni fucking Kroos scores in the 84th minute from long-range.

At this point, having had to use 2 subs due to injury, I say "fuck it." If I'm going into a crapshoot and it may be his last Champions League final, I want to give Buffon a chance to go out in a blaze of glory (in case he retires before I get back to the CL final again). I bring on Buffon for Rulli.

Extra time is scoreless.
ON TO PENALTY KICKS

James Rodriguez scores the first for Madrid.
Tevez scores the first for us.
CR7 scored the next for Madrid.
Vidal scored the next for us.
BUFFON SAVES THE PK BY KROOS
Asamoah scores for us.
Bernat scores for Madrid.
Berardi scores for us.
All the pressure is on Yarmolenko now. He has to score to keep Madrid going.
You know what happened. BUFFON MADE THE SAVE!!!

If that's his last Champions League finals appearance, at least he'll go out a winner, having helped us to be 3x defending champions by virtue of saving (and legit saving, not having the guy miss high/wide) 2 penalties.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-07-2015 at 02:45 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote