Old 09-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #52
collegesportsfanms
Pro Rookie

Group 2

Week 10

Duke- 67, St. Johns- 61
Vermont- 60, MD Eastern Shore- 50
Cal St. Northridge- 68, Missouri St.- 60

I'm very glad to see the bottom 3 teams in the group not just roll over to the top 3 teams. All the games were close all the way through. Vermont was tied at halftime with MD Eastern Shore. What could have been a very boring, blah, week 10 with everything already decided was turned into an exciting week with 3 tight games.

---------------------

Final Group 2 Standings

#1 Duke 10-0 (+104)
#2 Cal St. Northridge 8-2 (+98)
#3 Vermont 6-4 (+43)
#4 St. Johns 3-7 (-69)
#5 Missouri St. 2-8 (-72)
#6 MD Eastern Shore 1-9 (-104)

Duke becomes the first team to go undefeated in group play, although it is very early in the tournament. You would think this would solidify a top 5 seed in the round of 128, but with 56 groups still to go, anything can happen. Not to mention everybody played Duke close, their average margin of victory was only 10.8 points. Not very sharp for the #2 ranked team in the entire tournament. Cal St. Northridge becomes the second surprise team to move through group play, and sets themselves up for a very nice seed among the second place teams. Vermont will have to have some luck to get a wild-card berth.. I just don't see 6 wins being enough. St. Johns was the most disappointing team in the group, but lets be honest, they were only one game over .500 in the actual 2012-2013 season, so maybe they weren't so disappointing? I vote for overrated. We got about what we expected out of Missouri St. and MD Eastern Shore, and say bye bye to them as well.
collegesportsfanms is offline   Reply With Quote