View Single Post
Old 12-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #15
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm going to deliberately make a trade here, to see if the pick vanishes like they seemed to do last time. I offer my FB Chandler Cox to SF for their 6th... close. 7th, and still no deal. Okay, then. Cox and C Boehm? Just a tad more. WR Ricardo Louis? Still not enough. Bucs take it for their 7th next year. And theor 2022 7t now shows up among my trade-able assets. So far, looks right. We'll see when the draft comes around if it's still there.

So, I hit the FA market again. Need a kicker, FB and 3rd QB, want to add a couple legitimate assets.

So, with the artificial caps lifted, LB Bobby Wagner (rated 98 overall) is indeed asking for something close to the new $25m cap. Okay, that's silly - it ought to be position-adjusted obviously - but it's better than having their requests be artificially capped. This should also add value to early draft picks... get a star and he's yours for under $10m for several years. Okay then. So, set aside the old scale, this is the new scale.

Offers in:
K Parkey (79), 1/1.5
FB Howell (79), 2/1.5
QB Duffy (68), 1/1.2
P Davis (79), 1/1.1

I don't see any super-cheap options here. I don't know what happened to undrafted rookies... but guys here are all seeking more than a million per year to sign. What gives? It looks like they are all looking for "open market" money rather than "draft slot" money, which makes zero sense.

I find T Whittington, a guy my staff touted, and offer him $1.6m for one year (compared to the $300K he'd have made if we drafted him in round 7). Crazy. He's rated 68 overall - that means he likely goes directly to the practice squad, even. Bad system.

So, what should I do here? Should I pay up to land LB Wagner? I decide to try to lowball him, and see if I can get him for a couple of years. I am nothing if not an angle shooter, after all.

LB Wagner (98) 2/16.2

Day 6: A few of the pricey veterans have gotten contracts... 40 y/o TE Antonio Gates on a savvy 2yr deal, that guy's got a big future ahead of him. I have the leading offer on all my targets except Wagner, no detail on him that I can find, other than I'm not in the lead. No email. Oh, there's a FA Report, that shows all players with an offer, alphabetically because that makes sense, and it says Washington is in the lead, with us the only other suitor. I make a 5/8.0 offer to T Donovan Smith, getting itchy to fill that role somehow.

Day 7: We land two guys, P Davis and FB Howell. Both slots would be better filled by rookies. Ugh. LB Wagner gets his $21m from Washington.

Day 8: No news.

Day 9: We land T Whittington for a bit under his absurd asking price.

Day 10: What do I do here? Not sure my roster is valid yet, but don't want to sign multiple overpriced stiffs. I let it ride. Nobody signs, it seems, so I only have 2x QB and that's flagged as illegal. We'll see how I can fix that.

The "Sign Free Agent" window is still there...and now there are new buttons to click on free agents: "Sign - Practice" and "Sign - Active." Well okay then.

New pickups:
QB Alvarado (75) 1/300K
K Gaines (75) 1/300K

Now, that's a solid deal for an undrafted rookie. So, just wait 'em out, and take them after the formal FA process is over. Got it.

So, as I go back to look for the contract info on these rookies, I see that my last round of free agents did, in fact, sign - that just didn't get indicated to me anywhere (except maybe in my email inbox, didn't check that). So, we did get T Smith and C Parkey, after all. Go figure. The only item in my email inbox is that LB Wagner signed elsewhere. Weird game, I really feel like it's an easter egg hunt just to know WTF is going on stage by stage.

Well, I'mma try to do one of these auto-sign deals with another free agent who has gone unclaimed. My fast TE from last year's draft is still saying he's a 4/4.4 sort of guy. I'll just click the "Sign - Active" and see where that gets me... to find out, I need to close his page, close out the free agent menu, then go to my roster including contracts... so easy! He's at 1/300K, as I suspected.

Okay... time to realign thinking here a bit. These 1yr draftee contracts aren't a nightmare after all. I didn't have to pay my 7th round TE the market salary he was asking for, I just needed to wait him out and one he got no legit offers, he signs for minsal with us for one year.

Hmm...what about legit players at this stage? FB Tre Madden played for AZ last season (albeit sparingly) and looks good, is asking for $5m, since he's rated 92 overall for some reason. His request is 3/4.7... I click "Sign - Active" and (tedious series of clicks later) he's aboard at 1/300K.

Okay, enough with that. That seems like a huge exploit waiting to happen, right? But for now I'll mostly ignore it, with only a legit FB to show for my foibles.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote