View Single Post
Old 03-10-2022, 09:05 AM   #455
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
You are wrong. Of course the US knows what other country you are from before becoming a US citizen. It is definitely in the computers somewhere at INS. The US just doesn't want nor care enough to pursue it.

You are also wrong about "no way for a person in country X to go about renouncing citizenship of country Y. They'd have to go back to the other country ...". I formally renounced my other citizenship in the US at the other country's embassy. Easy enough to do, fill out a form and hand in that other passport.

You may have a point about China specifically and your child's adoption. But you are wrong when you say "no way" or "no record" in the broader sense.

We've had this discussion before. You think I'm wrong, I know you are wrong from my personal experience.

I have zero faith for people to actually put an ounce of effort into tracking that. I am a dual citizen, US and England, I needed a passport 3 years ago. I had one before, served in the US military, the passport agency can see I am a naturalized citizen through my A number, yet they rejected my request. Why? They now want a copy of my N-565 form, which by the way costs over $500.00, which I paid for and requested 3 years ago, which I still don't have.

There is so much needless red tape in the morass that is US immigration, they are not going to put any effort into accurately recording/tracking duals, at least not until the next boogeyman from some other country appears.

By the way, I contacted the nearest British embassy and I can send my birth certificate and have my British passport in 4-6 weeks. When I stop being stubborn over insisting I get it from the US I will relent and do it.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 03-10-2022 at 09:06 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote