View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 11:38 AM   #399
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
If the audience isn't 'us' then the mainstream boxing fans don't even know who any of those people even are, and all they see is a old wrinkly Shamrock, another one with so much metal in his mouth he couldn't fight a chicken and a smug looking gorilla with blonde hair who hasn't won a decisive fight that didn't involve Ken Shamrock since 2001.

The audience isn't "mainstream boxing fans" either, why on earth would they go after a target that small? I doubt two percent of the population could name five active boxers today, hell I'm not sure I could name more than five myself without prompting.

The target audience is anyone who's home on Saturday night's watching network TV. And that means an older cross section of America. Which means they've got to come up with a compelling story of some sort to have a hope in hell of getting people to watch.

Kimbo was a monster, a brute, an animal, meant to be an unstoppable force. That's something Joe & Sue Sixpack can follow, so can Fred & Ethel Metamucil ... But so much for that idea. Carano has a character of sorts, a "how can a girl do that" thing going. From what I gather there's potential for this Cyborg chick to be built into a character as well.

But Shamrock? At most they can get one more loss out of him, a guy more recognizable as a former WWE performer who I'm not sure could beat five well chosen FOFC'ers at this point. He's 3-8 this DECADE for God's sake and hasn't won a fight in more than four YEARS. He's more likely to die in the ring than he is to beat anything more viable than a tomato can. Ortiz? IMO, too reminiscent of boxers people already don't give a rat's ass about (i.e. more annoying than interesting) but they might be able to get one useful appearance out of him. And last night's surprise winner? I'd say they'll have a hell of a time playing the Rocky card to middle America with a guy with pink streaks in his hair.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-05-2008 at 11:39 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote