View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 10:52 PM   #13
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Actually, I just got off the phone with Steve. He's beginning to wonder if they made a mistake going with the Wing T. I don't know your offense like you do, but to me it's always seemed a bit complicated, but very effective. I couldn't imagine trying to teach the boys 'everything' I'd want to make that offense look great. It sounds like he's having a mess of trouble trying to get it down right.

I gave him as much unbiased advice as I could both offensively and defensively, where I don't think he's quite sure what he's doing there either.

I'll see soon enough how he's doing.

It does take a lot of reps and a lot of patience, we have less in now than we did in each of the last 2 years. If we don't have the plays we have in currently looking crisp by the end of practice Thursday I will scrap putting in the last 2 pass plays I want and go with what we have, which is Boot pass strong and weak, Belly pass strong and Belly waggle. I would will also trim the gameplan down if needed if anything does not look right. Currently I have no plans to run weakside trap as their 6-2 front things really tight to the weakside and we are just not quick enough up front yet to pull it off.

If I was Steve I would start with just 5 basic plays right now. The Buck series both ways, Sweep, Trap and Boot, actually instead of trap I would probably run wedge with this age group, since it doesn't alter the backfield action and is easier to teach. I would also put in belly both ways and Belly pass. That is a pretty good starting point for young kids. I wouldn't worry about power and counter until later, if at all, and would not even try to put in veer, scissors or reverse with this age. Of course you would tell him just the opposite
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote