View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #882
Radii
Head Coach

August 18th, 2020

Ipswich @ Liverpool

Liverpool are 4:6 favorites, we're 7:2 to get a win at their house today. We're 1-1-3 lifetime against Liverpool. The win was an FA Cup match in 2010. The tie was at the tail end of our last EPL season when we had a few really strong games after we'd been relegated. Liverpool has finished 7th the last two seasons.

GK: Capitani
D: Kirkland/Welsh/Henrique/McKerr
M: Adagsmar/Mariga/Mills/Gordon
F: Hamilton/Constantino

McKerr starts for Jackson at DR. Welsh in for Mike and Mariga in for Donnelly since we're going in on short rest.

8': They take the first shot, a crazy 35 yard strike that bends a ton and just hits the post.

10': A quick buildup on offense, Mariga ahead to Hamilton, Hamilton passes to Constantino, he beats his man into the right side of the area, stops and fires to the left post... the keeper dives but he can't react fast enough, its by him and in!!! 1-0

19': We have a throwin deep in their end, they head it out of the area, Mariga puts it back in, Hamilton is there and has a clear cut chance, a great look... but saved, dang!

26': Kirkland clears down the left side, Adagsmar picks it up at midfield and makes a great run down the left, he crosses to Constantino... but they win the header and clear.

38': They try to set up their offense but we win a ball out near midfield, pass ahead to Hamilton, he makes a run, the defense is keeping up though, he cuts out left, crosses, mills gets his head to it... but the keeper saves it. A great counter attack, good effort.

42': They earn two corners, Capitani seems to show really good poise when balls fly through the 6 yard box, he's getting to everything he needs to.

HALF: Another wonderful first half from Ipswich! Now what can we do to make sure the second half is as good as the first? They make all their subs, I hold off for now, we'll see what we should change. We have 8 shots to their 7 but we're totally getting the better of it, 5 on target to their 2. Possession 50/50, passing both around 66%, we're tackling a bit better and heading at the same rate as them. They have a couple long range shots struck with ridiculous pace and I'm worried that even if we play near perfect that they'll sneak in a goal from long distance. No change to start the second half.

46': We kick off and set up our offense, but when a pass goes to Hamilton they win it and pass to the keeper, the keeper sends it long, and they've got a man out ahead of the defense, Welsh comes in and makes a tackle about 22ish yards out... and I audibly gasp and say out loud "that's a red"... Welsh walks slowly over to the ref... and receives a yellow card. We just got a massive gift. That seemed like a very obvious red card to me. They take the free kick... off one of their attackers standing near the wall and out for a goal kick.

53': They counter after a bad Constantino pass, a very quick pass up ahead as we were trying to start our offense, there's a shot from 20 yards out and Capitani makes a great save. However, the rebound falls to ST Dalla Valle and he is unmarked at the edge of the box. He fires into the left side of the net and there's no chance to stop it. 1-1

60': Negredo in for Hamilton who got hurt and is a bit slowed, and Johnson in for Gordon who isn't playing that great.

77': They have a throwin, a pass quickly goes to bakcup striker Aubameyang, he turns by Welsh and drills a shot from 20 yards out that Capitani can't stop. 1-2

82': Donnelly in for Mariga. I tell the guys to attack, assuming they will sit back a bit more.

No chance in the final 10 minutes.

Liverpool 2 : 1 Ipswich

This was a constant issue against good teams last year, though last year it was usually "well ok we came out of the first half 0:0 now lets watch them score 4 goals in the second half when they wake up". We've had two great starts and we're seeing some strong play, I wonder if there's something I can try to do different in the second half. Maybe mix in a little more aggressive play at times to try to throw them off? I'm not sure if this is just a good team expecting to run over the new guys and playing one complacent half, or if they're getting used to us sitting in the same strategy for 90 minutes and finally break it down.

Goal: Constantino (6.9)
Assist: Hamilton (6.8)
Notable: Mariga (7.4)

Our wide midfielders had the worst time today, 6.2 from Gordon and 6.0 from Adagsmar. Neither are strong in the air so they miss a few headers and crosses just weren't connecting.

I was thrilled with Constantino's goal though, he's showing some great touch on those two goals he got, our first trip up to the EPL he came out missing everything and just not having the pace on his shots to beat EPL keepers when he was on target.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote