View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #883
Radii
Head Coach

-- I list Chris Mason for loan. I may be a bit picky though, more SFraser goodness, I remember him mentioning being picky about finding good coaches to send your players off to so you know they'll get the best development possible. I'd really like to see him spend a year in the Championship starting every match.

-- We're expecting a sellout in our first home match.

August 22nd, 2020

Man City @ Ipswich

The fans are up for our first home match. Unfortunately its against Man City, but we've played pretty well on the road so far, lets see what we can do at Portman Road. They're even money favorites today, we're 11:5 to get a win. After a run of 5 straight seasons in the top 4, Man City has missed out on Europe 2 years in a row, 9th and 10th the last 2 years.

GK: Capitani
D: Kirkland/Quartey/Henrique/McKerr
M: Adagsmar/Donnelly/Mills/Gordon
F: Hamilton/Constantino

Donnelly back at MC, Quartey gets his first shot at DC. I start Lee Burton at ML to see what he can do.

3': We get the ball first but they take it away when we try to get forward.. on defense they get a quick through ball and clear cut chance but Capitani makes a good save. They recover and Mils commits a foul just outside the area... shot goes off the wall for a corner, which we clear. They recover again and push... This takes a few minutes but its all highlights from the opening kickoff and they've got 5 shots, 4 on target right away.

8': They win a ball in our end and attack fast, a long ball from midfield to AM Jovetic, it looks like he's barely onside if at all, but no call, he's behind the defense and in the area and makes a trivial finish. 0-1

13': We go up the middle on offense, Hamilton receives a pass, spots Burton coming in from the left, good pass, clear cut chance.. but tipped wide by the keeper. Corner is cleared.

16': We have a throwin, a couple passes up the right side, Gordon spots Burton open out left and crosses field. Burton into the area... tackled, its a penalty!!! Constantino takes it and buries it. 1-1

18': They are just putting a lot of pressure on us with long crisp passes that are perfectly controlled every time... another long pass here to Jovetic, he's in the area and has a clear cut chance... but Capitani makes another good save. They have 3 clear cut chances, we have 2.

32': Just like their first goal, they start to attack and bam, pass from near midfield well forward, a run timed perfectly, first touch is perfect, no chance for anyone here. ST Cavalieri with the goal. 1-2

36': Highlight opens with a random shot from Lee Burton from 25+ yards out that is just off the left post, wow close!

HALF: OOPS. Sometimes I'm dumb. I had our default tactic last year set for our defensive line to play up a bit, wanting to be aggressive in the Championship, so even with the "drop deeper" instruction we were still just in a kinda normal setting... I went in at the half to just pull everything much further back and noticed that. DOH. Mike in for Quartey at the half too, more speed, Quartey was getting killed out there. They put immense pressure on us that first half. 14 shots, 7 on target, 4 clear cut chances. We shoot 8 times, 6 on target, 2 clear cut chances, we're really playing fairly well here, I'm not unhappy except for with the fact that I didn't think to doublecheck all the settings in my tactic before any games!~

49': They have a free kick, we clear and a ball goes ahead to Neil Gordon, he's able to get to the edge of the box before they catch up, he shoots, deflected wide though. Corner is cleared.

56': Guarin in for Burton, Burton is playing well but not ready for 90 minutes yet, Guarin just to get him some minutes.

59': A goal kick for us, its played up ahead and Constantino controls, he dribbles forward, skips by a tackle, plays a great pass to Gordon coming in from the right, its our 3rd clear cut chance of the match... but saved. Damn! That should have been the tying goal, seriously.

64': Mills with a yellow.

66': Mariga in for Mills, fresh legs and make sure no stupid second yellow comes out.

70': Mariga with a nice sliding tackle to win us the ball near midfield, a pass up to Constantino, a nice run forward, a centering pass to Donnelly, shot from 20 yards out, the keeper has to dive for it but makes the stop.

73': They get forward, there's a strong shot from 20 yards, Capitani with a very good save, but theres a rebound, they get to it.. another shot, Capitani again!! Great great play from our keeper.

76': They commit a foul out left of the penalty area, yellow for defender Neven Subotic. They clear Gordon's cross into the area. We recover but give it away too easily.

87': Some very nice passing in tight spaces allows them to get their 3rd goal, AM Jovetic with a strong shot from 15 yards out. 1-3

90': Constantino with a yellow.

That'll do it.

Ipswich 1 : 3 Man City

They shot 21 times, putting 12 on target, 6 clear cut chances. We managed 14 shots, and again I'm seeing things that make me happy compared to our last start in the EPL, we're generating chances that we struggled a ton to get last time.

Goal: Constantino (7.0)
Assist: Burton (6.9)
Notables: Capitani (7.1), Mills (7.0), Donnelly (7.0)

McKerr and Quartey got burned today, 5.6 and 5.7 ratings. Gordon 6.1 missing a couple really great chances to get on the board.

The ratings kinda jive with what I felt I was seeing in the highlights... we gave up a couple very quick goals but we played really well most of the match against a clearly superior team.

Next up we host Plymouth in the League Cup. After that is a critical early game against Bristol City, a team we dominated last season in the Championship. This script is real similar to our last time up. A couple early games against teams we aren't supposed to beat, then an early season showdown against another relegation contender. Last time around we lost every one of these matches. I expect different this time.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote