View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 04:45 AM   #895
Radii
Head Coach

Injury Update

-- Chris Mason is hurt in training and out for 3 weeks. This is his second significant injury this year.

-- Stuart Kirkland starts at ML for the English U21's against Hungary in a 3:0 win, putting up a 6.8 rating. First time Ive seen him used outside of DL.

-- Gordon Donnelly earns a 6.6 rating, James Welsh 6.7 as a sub in a 1:1 tie for Scotland against Slovenia in World Cup Qualifying.

-- Jonathan Quartey puts up a 7.1 rating for Ghana in a 2:0 win over Mozambique in African World Cup Qualifying. The second round of qualifying in Africa has ended. That was a massive stage with 12 4 team groups, Every group winner and many 2nd place teams continue on. Ghana went 6-0 in their group to advance. McDonald Mariga's Kenya fails to advance. The next round consists of 5 groups, 4 teams each. the winner of each group qualifies for the world cup after home and home round robin play (6 matches total). Quartey's Ghana is grouped with Morocco, Burkina Faso and Benin. It seems they should be heavy heavy favorites.

October 17th, 2020

Ipswich (3-2-3, 8th) @ Tottenham(3-1-4, 9th)

Tottenham are very slim 6:4 favorites today, we're 13:8 dogs. They finished 4th in the EPL last year and are doing well in the Champions League very early on. Similar to Sunderland we've played them 4 times and never won.

GK: Capitani
D: Kirkland/Welsh/Quartey/Jackson
M: Burton/Donnelly/Mills/Gordon
F: Negredo/Constantino

Lee Burton needed a little reserve time action to get match fit and I go ahead and start him today to keep him that way. Mills back in at MC, Negredo up front. Khan is match fit as well and I need to get him some playing time.

Tottenham's Jan Molnar is worth $20M, makes $130k/wk and is a great striker. He's got 3 goals in 5 league matches (he's crushing the champions league with 4 goals in 3 matches). He's their biggest threat by a lot.

1': We kick off and build up on offense, but a pass back is intercepted by one of their midfielders. They rush forward and earn a corner, a header comes in off the corner but Capitani easily catches it.

14': We try to build up on offense, Gordon plays a ball in from the right side, it seems like its aimed at Constantino but it bounces ahead and Negredo is able to run onto it at the penalty spot... no one between him and the keeper, but a very poor first touch allows a defender to come in and clear.

25': They have 2 shots, we have none. We are getting forward a fair bit but not getting anything out of it. We are keeping the pressure off the defense.

26': Donnelly makes a great run from midfield to get us into an attack position, he draws a couple defenders, passes to Negredo who shoots from 20 yards out but its wide.

38': Donnelly is having a hell of a match, he's been making some great plays... here Mills sends a ball out right for Neil Gordon, he makes a run down the right and crosses into the area, Donnelly is playing extremely aggressively here and charges in to win a header... its off the crossbar. The keeper leapt for the shot and seems to come down awkwardly, he's slow to recover. The ball comes back into the area, Constantino is there and basically walks it into the net without a challenge from the keeper. 1-0

HALF: We quickly make it to the half and I have to say that the scoreline accurately reflects the play I'm seeing in the highlights. We look great. Tottenham are still sitting on 2 shots, we have 5, 2 on target. We've got 55% of the possession and have been passing extremely well. Gordon Donnelly has looked great, he's made some very nice runs that I don't expect to see out of him to get us in some strong forward positions, and he was attacking hard on our goal.

To start the second half I drop to defensive and "retain possession", at least for now.

54': Donnelly with a yellow. That's his 5th and he'll miss our next match.

57': They have a free kick out left, a pass goes to defender Chukwu 20 yardso ut, he shoots, not a lot of pace, it seemed to me like Capitani should have stopped it... but its by him and into the net to tie it up. Steven Mills takes the blame for missing an interception. 1-1

60': Back to our default counter attacking strat.

62': We have a free kick on our end but they win the ball and get forward quickly, there's a strong shot by Molnar from 25 yards out, Capitani has to dive and makes a great save on a shot that was rocketing towards the net. Its behind for a corner which we clear.

71': Guarin in for Negredo, back to DMC, 4-1-4-1. Adagsmar in for Burton at ML. We haven't found a shot this half, they have 8.

We see them attack a bit more but we defend well to finish it off and earn a point on the road.

Tottenham 1 : 1 Ipswich

We didn't take a single shot in the second half. Their goal scorer is the man of the match.

Goal: Constantino (7.3)
Assist: Donnelly (7.4)
Notables: Kirkland (7.2)

Jonathan Quartey struggles today with a 5.3 rating, he won 11 headers, more than anyone, but he challenged for the ball in the air 27 times. We hang on to a top 10 spot with a point here, we've got 12 points now, I'm fairly certain that we made it into February before we got 12 points our last EPL season.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote