View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 05:28 AM   #896
Radii
Head Coach

Injury Update

-- Jack Hughes pulls a hamstring in training and is out 3-4 weeks.

-- Simon Hamilton has a groin strain and is out 2-3 weeks.

October 24th, 2020

Aston Villa(7-0-2, 4th) @ Ipswich (3-3-3, 9th)

Aston Villa are even money favorites today, we're 11:5 to get a win. We beat these guys on the road at the very end of our last EPL season, making us 1-2-3 lifetime against them. Only 5 places separate us in the standings but this is a really, really strong team.

Aston Villa are led by 32 y/o FC Eren Derdiyok, he's got 5 goals in league play so far.

GK: Capitani
D: Kirkland/Welsh/Henrique/Jackson
M: Adagsmar/Johnson/Mills/Gordon
F: Khan/Constantino

Lots of changes, Henrique back in, Darren Johnson starts for the suspended Donnelly, Adagsmar back in at ML, Matthew Khan gets a start today.

2': They get a shot from 20 yards out right away, Capitani makes a diving save and its behind for a corner. We clear that.

4': We have to fight to keep possession a couple times here but end up getting it to Constantino 20 yards out, he's able to make a turn and get a shot, its actually a clear cut chance, he shoots near post but its saved and turned back for a corner which they clear.

11': They attack quickly, a quick long ball from the midfield into the area for Ismail Sevini, one of their mids, and he finishes nicely. 0-1

14': we have a good shot to get that goal back, Johnson with a through ball for Constantino, his second clear cut chance and this is a really good one, but its saved... I expected a goal watching this one.

20': They try to put it into the area, Welsh heads it out and its sent ahead to Constantino. He pulls up and passes to Mills as our offense sets up. Mills puts a ball into the area from 35 yards out, Khan breaks on it beautifully and has our 3rd clear cut chance of the day... keeper dives and makes yet another stop, damn!

36': Yellow for midfielder Sandro.

40': Constantino has been hurt twice in the first half here, he's got no long term issues but his fitness is way lower than everyone else. He might not finish this one.

HALF: Its a very even match, 8 shots for us, 6 on target, 9 shots/4 on target for them. But we generated better shots and we really ought to be in the lead here. Not getting at least one goal out of those looks that we got is a big problem.

48': We counter attack, a pass to Constantino, he sends it over to Khan near the midfield circle, Khan takes off, he dribbles between two defenders and makes a crazy strong run, he's almost in the area... and tackled. I swear that ought to be a red, I'm making umpire ejection motions sitting in my chair... but nope, yellow for defender Long. Gordon shoots and its off the wall for a corner, they clear it.

56': They build up on offense, a pass goes to ST Valpoort 25 yards out, Henrique makes a challenge and fails completely, allowing his man to go by him, get into the area and score. Very poor play by Henrique. 0-2

67': Negredo in for Constantino, Burton in for Adagsmar. I tell the guys to attack, I don't expect much, we've had our chances here and squandered them and that second goal really makes it difficult.

76': We work the ball forward after winning it in defense, Burton to Negredo, Negredo with a brilliant ball from 35 yards out to Khan who cuts by his man. Khan earns our 4th clear cut chance and this one is in, he puts it into the lower left corner of the net and we have a chance! 1-2

83': We have it already working our offense, Negredo spots an opening in their defense and passes a ball for Khan, Khan seems slow to break on it, seems like we could have done better there, they tackle it away.

87': We have a free kick 20-25 yards out a bit wide left, Gordon shoots, its a strong bending shot that the keeper barely gets to... they clear it behind for a corner which we can't do anything with.

That's it.

Ipswich 1 : 2 Aston Villa

Its at least a bit of a positive that we can end a match against a team fighting for a spot in the Champions League and legitimately feel that we were the better team today. We should have won this.

Goal: Khan (7.7)
Assist: Negredo (6.8)
Notable: Kirkland (7.1), Mills (7.1)

Matthew Khan was damn good. I'd been wanting to bring him in for awhile now, it took me too long to realize he was very far out away from match fitness and to get him some action on the reserve team. He made some moves there today that he just didn't have in him the last time we were up here.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote