View Single Post
Old 01-11-2020, 09:33 PM   #4
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

April 9, 2019

The 2018-19 season is in the books. There's nothing but happiness in Gainesville, where Florida is celebrating their 75-68 NCAA tournament victory over Kansas. The Gators defeated Creighton to advance to the championship game, while the Jayhawks knocked off Louisville. The Cardinals finished the season ranked #1 in both the media and coaches' polls.

This week was also the day of reckoning for coaches whose performance fell short of their board's expectations. Aidan received an email listing dozens of job openings. All of the featured jobs were head coaching positions, and several of them were very intriguing.

Aidan's dream job was among them. Virginia began the season ranked #22. They sputtered to a 14-15 record, including an especially lackluster 6-12 record in ACC play. The Cavaliers were immediately eliminated from the ACC tournament by Wake Forest, and failed to win an invitation to any national tournament. That was enough to cost Doug Deverage his job.

Aidan's Below Average reputation probably wouldn't make him a strong candidate for the UVA job. His dream would have to wait for now.

I decided to limit his choices to schools with outstanding academic reputations; they seemed more likely to be interested in a coach who shared their emphasis on academic excellence. Schools from major conferences, who were probably looking for bigger names, were also taken off his list. Even with those restrictions, Aidan's short list was far from short.

HTML Code:
SCHOOL CONFERENCE PRE FAC ACA Boston Univ. Patriot League 25 C A- Brown Ivy League 15 C A Bucknell Patriot League 31 C+ B+ Colgate Patriot League 14 C+ A- Columbia Ivy League 14 C- A+ Dartmouth Ivy League 15 C- A Davidson Atlantic 10 46 B- A- Fordham Atlantic 10 22 C+ B+ Furman Southern Conf. 18 C+ A- Harvard Ivy League 30 C+ A+ Holy Cross Patriot League 23 C+ A- Lafayette Patriot League 11 C B+ Lehigh Patriot League 25 C A- Loyola (MD) Patriot League 24 C B+ Northeastern Colonial 29 C- A Pennsylvania Ivy League 29 C+ A+ Princeton Ivy League 29 C A Rice Conference USA 19 C+ A+ Stony Brook America East 18 C B+ William & Mary Colonial 25 C A- Yale Ivy League 26 C+ A+

Aidan could apply for one job in the first round of hiring. Which of these 21 positions would I pursue? I decided to begin by taking a shot at one of the "bigger" programs on his list.

Davidson was clearly the most prestigious school on his list. It was intriguing for that reason. Several of the Ivies, with their aura of tradition, were appealing, too. I decided to ask my wife and son which of the Ivy League schools on the list they'd prefer. I got one vote for Princeton and one for Dartmouth. I decided to go with my wife's choice this time--rarely a poor move on my part--and apply for the Princeton job.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote